Ratchet socket wrench question

I saw a type of ratchet socket wrench that I haven't seen before.

It's a standard socket ratchet with a direction selector plus,,, at the end of the wrench handle is a one inch rotating bar that you can turn, which causes the wrench socket to turn.

In other words, if the nut or bolt is loose, you can turn the socket without moving the wrench handle.

Anybody know what this type of wrench is called?

Thanks

Reply to
Jack S

I don't know the name of that style of wrench, but if that "one inch bar" sticks out very far it could become an annoyance in tight quarters.

My "garage" toolbox contains a set of three different size thin black oxide finished steel disks with knurled edges which have (in order of size) 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" square holes in their centers.

The idea is that you're supposed to put them on the wrench drive square before you snap on a socket or extender bar. The disks are larger than the wrench heads so you can "spin" the socket with your fingertips.

I think I've had them for about 30 years and I can't recall ever using one of them.

Sears still sells them, so somebody must use them:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I think it was sold under the name "sidewinder." I never tried one so I don't know if it worked well or if it was a gimmick.

I've owned some ratchets that had that built into the back of the head. I think they were some old S-K's that I got from my grandfather, or maybe they were some of my yard sale finds. Certainly not any of the new Crapsman ones :(

I like extensions that are knurled as well; once you break the nut loose you can pop the ratchet off and use the extension like a screwdriver handle.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'm sure anyone who had one would also have a starndard ratchet.

HD has something like this for about 25 dollars. I don't remember a bar at all, but maybe it was hard to twist so some added the bar. Maybe HD too.

I have 3/8". Never used it.

But one day I might. I had a 67 Catalina with a 400 cid engine and I couldn't get anything in to change the number 1 sparkplug, not even the socket alone. I'm sure they made a socket for this purpose. I just didn't have it. (I ended up removing the big cast iron AC bracket and taking it to a shop to get a a piece cut out of it. to get access to the plug.

Reply to
mm

I had a '69 Charger w/ "only" the 383 and #8 on it was only accessible w/ a "shorty" plug socket w/ the hex on the rear for a tappet-wrench thin open-end wrench to turn about 1/32 of a revolution per try...until I learned the "trick".

Shop foreman told me -- you set a jack under the flywheelhousing and jack a couple of strokes -- then there's sufficient clearance for a wobblehead... :)

This old guy and worked pits for "The King" in his earliest days w/ Mopar and was basically the font of all knowledge Mopar-related...

Reply to
dpb

I've got one of them as well--haven't used it (the knurl) in 30 years, either... :)

I agree wholeheartedly there...

Reply to
dpb

I have them too. Whenever I need one, I'm usually laying on the ground under my truck. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Maybe I needed a shorty socket too? At the time I knew a small machine shop I could sort of use, even though I had no right to. I was sort of scared everytime I went there, but this time the manager of the shop took the part from me and cut it himself.

I only went there about once a year. I sort of wanted to do it myself, but I was glad to get it done without being kicked out.

I need someone like that.

Reply to
mm