OT torque wrench

I lost the original thread from last year <?> .. but regardless and irregardless .. I bought a new torque wrench today - after returning my second Princess Auto $ 50. unit - both fell apart in my hands - just doing snow tires in the driveway 2 times per year. The new $ 120. DeWalt is almost a foot longer ooh ; has a very fancy plastic case ; Whoo-ooh ! But one point that was made in the original thread - using it to loosen the lug nuts - the DeWalt has several warnings to NOT use it to loosen ! The packaging says " limited 1 year warranty " the web site says " lifetime replacement warranty" Canadian Tire and Home Depot.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dewalt-1-2-in-drive-torque-wrench-0589678p.html#srp
They are just today offering it in a combo with a breaker bar ... $ 150.
.. the jury is out .. I won't hold my breath ...
John T.
On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 5:22:37 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wro te:

I Knowing what their purpose is and what they are used for, I hope you didn 't need that warning. About the only time I could see using one to loosen a bolt would be if you wanted to see if it was excessively torqued. Even the n, not sure if you torqued it to 30 that means it will unscrew at 30, might take more, but there should be a correlation.
A friend of mine was complaining that a tire shop had way over torqued his lugs. He went back and the manager took a torque wrench, put it on a lug, s howed him that it clicked at the correct value and said that proved they to rqued it correctly......

678p.html#srp

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 14:46:44 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I used my cheapo to loosen the wheel nuts - but I'm pretty sure that was not the failure cause - they both had screws loosen off - in different spots . I suspect that homeowner torque wrenches do not measure the loosening torque . . < professional tools - perhaps ? > Re-torquing click does not prove that it wasn't originally over-torqued ... duh. John T.
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 18:19:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Torque wrench reads both directions - has to, otherwize you could not torque left hand nuts. The "prohibition" against using it for loosening is the fact that the force released when a bolt snaps loose is extreme and WILL throw the calibration off in time. If the bolt/nut is not semi-seized, and comes off easily with no "snap" it will NOT hurt the wrench - but you don't know how it will come off untill you try it. That's why the "kits" come with a "breaker bar" - break the nuts loose with the breaker bar, then run them off with the torque wrench with the ratchet set to the "off" position. Why else would they but a reversible ratchet head on a torque wrench????

Ask DeWalt or all the other wrench companies .. John T.
On 8/14/2019 5:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

  Bite the bullet John , Clare nailed it . Torque wrenches are NOT designed to loosen fasteners . Why do you think they call them "BREAKER" bars ?
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

I'm not arguing with Clare or DeWalt ... except - .. why do they put a reverse option ? on the cheap homeowner torque wrench that is not meant for that task ? .. and then print strict warnings to never use it to loosen a lug nut ... John T.
On 8/14/2019 7:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Two reasons. It is cheap to do. You may also want to measure torque on lef hand thread.
I don't us chisels as screwdrivers even if they fit the slots or gefty wrenches as hammers. But, this is America, you can if you want to.
On 8/14/2019 6:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

  The clutch basket nut on my (RIP Bag Lady) now deceased 1976 Shovelhead Harley was a left hand thread that required a 45-55 LB/ft torques . Is that a good enough example ? You certainly didn't want to overtorque , it would crack  the clutch hub - taper fit with a key to locate .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 8/14/19 7:59 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Didn't the older Chrysler products have left hand threaded lug bolts on the driver's side?
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:11:35 -0500, Dean Hoffman

So did some oldsmobiles and cadillacs and hudsons and some British cars as well - just for starters,
On 15/8/19 11:11 am, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Yep, get a cheapie torque wrench with a dual directional scale. More than adequate for that role and it will preserve the torque wrench you use on the serious stuff.
--

Xeno

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 7:58:10 AM UTC-4, Xeno wrote:

nch companies  ..

s are NOT

? except  -

hat

s  to  never  use it

976

y to

left hand threaded lug

I don't understand what that means. There is no need to use any torque wre nch to loosen bolts, no skilled mechanic would do that. And if you use a to rque wrench correctly, it will last a long time, especially for occasional use. I would not buy even a cheap torque wrench and misuse it. Abusing it, it will likely be way out of calibration long before it falls apart.
On 15/8/19 10:11 pm, trader_4 wrote:

I meant for left hand thread *tightening*. When I was an apprentice, I used to get to do a lot of wheel changing. We had quite a few customers with LH threads on the LH side of their vehicle's wheels. I had a cheapie version of this;
https://www.dealsanimg.com/d/l400/pict/233212621665_/dual-drive-beam-style-torque-wrench-socket-14-inch-0-80.jpg
that I used on those wheels to get a reasonably consistent torque on all wheel nuts - in either direction. It was consistency of torque that was important.
For engine work and any other place where precision was required, the workshop W&B torque wrenches were used. We had a small one in inch lbs for auto trans adjustments, a 1/2" drive unit for general work and a 3/4" drive unit for use on trucks and machinery.
Didn't use torque wrenches for loosening bolts - ever.
--

Xeno

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:20:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

because, like I said, you sometimes need to torque a LEFT HAND THREADED FASTENER. My 1/2 inch drive Snap-On micro-adjusting click torque wrench is now ell over 40 years old - they don't have the jigs for recalibrating it any more - and it has been used "in reverse" fairly often - but NOT as a "breaker bar"
On 08/14/2019 07:34 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

My 1/2" drive beam torque wrench is getting old too. It still works.
On 8/14/2019 9:23 PM, rbowman wrote:

  I'm still using Dad's beam , it's gotta be at least 50 years old . I check it against my Craftsman clicker occasionally .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

My beam wrench is likely older than me - not much to go wrong on them
On 08/14/2019 09:37 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

I remember the blurb from a Sturtevant that as long as the needle pointed at zero it was accurate until the beam broke. I don't think I have to worry about that in this lifetime. For most things I depend on my calibrated fingers.
On 15/8/19 2:31 pm, rbowman wrote:

You have a set too, eh? I used to use them on those pesky left hand threaded wheel nuts.
--

Xeno