Wheel torque specs

This was posted on another newsgroup but is of interest for many here also

If your car is in the garage attached to your house, the post is ON topic.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Have you ever seen anyone work on your car check lug nut torque? The only thing I have ever seen is an air impact wrench blasting them tight.

Reply to
ransley

also

I use an impact wrench and recheck with a tire wrench. I have a torque wrench but it's not that critical. Mine never come off. Too loose they come off, too tight and you break off the stud, it's not rocket science.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Seen a broken lug from an impact wrench?

Snap them right off or ....

pic:

Oren

I use a torque extension with my impact wrench.

Have you ever seen anyone work on your car check lug nut torque? The only thing I have ever seen is an air impact wrench blasting them tight.

Reply to
Johnl

also

Over-tight usually, particulalrly on alloys. I started taking wheels in to tire places when they weren't on the car* just so they couldn't f*ck them up when putting them back on the vehicle.

  • needs a second vehicle, obviously. Driving on the rotors doesn't work too well ;)
Reply to
Jules

They should have a torque stick on the impact wrench. It is an adaptor that is set to a specific torque.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

also

Well, actually, yes, the boys at tire shops I deal at do routinely -- as other say they either use the air adapter or manual...

--

Reply to
dpb

"Should" being the operative word round here, (t'other side of the Pond).

Reply to
Clot

In that chart, what the heck is the deal with the 2004-06 Porsche Carrera GT at 407 ft-lbs?

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

I saw something like that one evening. Couple friends of mine broke a couple studs like that. One of them, I was over to thier house when they rang on the phone. Husband and I went out, bought a couple studs and lugs, and went to go bring em home. That was a lot of work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Supposedly those torque limiters do a good job. I've not tried one. I either torque wrench, or us a criss cross wrench.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've over torqued one of my wheels, on my last Blazer. Learned my lesson, and didn't do that again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or you can warp the disc brake rotor hub. I use impact wrency since I have compressor in the garage but I check with torque wrench.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Jules wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@remove.this.gmail.com:

You need to watch more Cops.

Reply to
Red Green

The tire shop I use (Tire Warehouse) ALWAYS uses a torque wrench and makes you sign a form stating you were told to check the lugnuts or bring it back for free retightnining after 24 hours....

Reply to
benick

A single bolt secures each wheel.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

lso

DD_BobK

lso

My local one (Les Schwab - NW group)runs them down with air wrench then does a final with a torque wrench. Doesn't matter - they torque them so tight I can't budge 'em using cruciform lug wrench.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Sam's Club torques the lugs here too as does the local tire store. That may just be because I have alloy wheels on my car and truck. The old steel wheels were very forgiving..

Reply to
gfretwell