Ratchet spanners redux

Halfords pro combi ratchet spanners arrived this morning and 10 minutes later the damn bolt was undone...

They're rather nice, too.

Reply to
Huge

Glad you're pleased with them.

However I don't think everyone has noticed on the original thread - I think they're now using spanners to hit each other.

It seems pretty much a rule on this newsgroup, once any topic goes past 20 or so posts, you can more or less guarantee it will have degenerated into a slanging match somewhere.

Reply to
dom

Be interesting to know what ring spanners you had that wouldn't fit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They have a cranked end, like this;

isn't room to fit them in. (In between the power steering pump and its pulley, to be exact.)

Reply to
Huge

Huge gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Coo, I remember those. Vaguely. Science Musuem, I think.

Combo spanners have been the standard for decades - certainly since I was first putting together my toolkit in the mid-late '80s.

Reply to
Adrian

What's a "Musuem"?

Cheeky git. I did say I haven't bought any spanners for at least 30 years.

Reply to
Huge

Huge gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's how, way back in the day, they used to spell what we now refer to as a "Museum".

This is news?

Mmm. By "at least"...?

Reply to
Adrian

Still available, but the newer (Am-tech)version - stubby / double ring is so much more compact. Top of picture shows 10 and 11mm from both sets.

Cicero

I have those but hardly use them these days. Have two sets of combination ones from Halfords pro range - but not ratchet ones.

Take the pulley off? Think the SD1 is the same. Not the easiest fixings for adjusting the drive belt.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No it won't!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Angle grinders at dawn!

Reply to
dom

Now don't *you* start :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

That was *so* last year. ;-)

Pressure washers, behind the cathedral at six!

Reply to
Bruce

WD40 at around 9:00am - I hate mornings.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So pressurise the wd40 can with a pressure washer and then chop the end off with an angle grinder, it should go like a rocket.

Reply to
dennis

That was the next step, if a proper spanner hadn't worked. Knowing me, it would have lead to a whole new interesting world of pain.

Reply to
Huge

Which probably means you've got a good set!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker