regluing veneer?

Hi all,

I just bought a used desk off Craigslist, appears to not be factory made but a scratch built thing. It was advertised as "solid wood" however I found it to actually have furniture grade plywood facings. Not complaining mind you, as I bought it anyway - looks rather nice and it's quite heavy and sturdy. There is one issue with the desk and that is where one of the little veneer bands is glued to the edge of the plywood, it's coming loose in the middle of the panel. I didn't even notice until I got it home and moved indoors, so it's obviously not a major problem, but I don't want to catch it and rip it off. What's the best glue for this kind of repair? Regular wood glue, or contact cement, or other?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Elmer's or Titebond II should work well. Work out your clamping system first so that everything will be nice and snug while the glue sets up. Application into the delaminated portion will be tricky...a large hypodermic needle would be ideal, but some plastic squeeze bottles could work.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

I've use these for many different things. Walmart has marinade injectors that work fine. Cut the end off so the fluid comes out of the end vs the side...unless that's what you want for your case.

As said, clamping (not just some books on it) is important.

Red Green

1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

clamping is not possible unless I use a ratchet strap around the whole desk, but I do have lots of very heavy things :)

Speaking of which...

When I picked up the desk, I used some ratchet straps to help hold the desk to my dolly because the single strap that is built into the dolly is not very secure. I've used these straps maybe 2-3x before and one of the ratchets is already NFG (stuck unlatched)

Does anyone make GOOD ratchet straps that I can leave in my truck and can be sure that they'll work when I need them? I think I got these out of a blister pack at Lowe's because that was what I could find when I needed them. It seems to be really hard to find any ratchet straps at all in a store, but I'm hesitant to order online for fear of paying more for the exact same thing.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Might have to steam it a bit to form it. We have used Gorilla Wood Glue with great results...edge glued boards in the seat of a desk chair and it holds my heavy husband very well.

Reply to
norminn

N8N wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k5g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

I picked up a pair of these many years ago. The uses I've found for them over time is kick-ass. But they are not ratchet straps meant for loads on a vehicle of course.

Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@k5g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

I've been using this style of tie downs for years.

I believe I got mine at Home Depot.

They have a real ratcheting handle and a quick release feature. The rubber coated hooks at both ends are strong enough for anything I've used them for, including securing a riding mower in my enclosed trailer.

I use eye hooks in my trailer or wrap the strap around a support and hook the hook to the strap itself.

The 6' length of the motorcycle tie downs have handled everything I've ever needed to secure, although I have hooked two straps together on occasion for extra length.

(Don't trust the price on the website listed. I don't believe you'll get a 48 piece case (24 sets) for $5.99. If you do, let me know!)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

@g1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

Once the glue is in, turn the desk on its side and put a flat board under where the glue is located, with wax paper in between to keep the dripping glue from sticking to the board. The whole weight of the desk will be on that board, it should be enough to keep it in place while the glue sets.

Reply to
hrhofmann

snipped-for-privacy@k5g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

Those look very similar to the ones I have, although mine have red straps rather than black and mine have some hard plastic coating on the handles rather than being plain cad plated steel. I don't think I've ever seen real ratchet straps at HD but I'll look again next time I'm there...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Before trying to add glue you might try heating the edge banding with a household electric iron (set for linen). Many edge bandings are pre-glued at the factory and will be reactivated with the application of heat. If this works you won't have to clamp it.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

snipped-for-privacy@k5g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

In fact, the handles on mine do indeed have the same black coating that is on the hooks.

If I'm not mistaken, they came as 4 pack in one of those nuclear fusion sealed plastic packages.

I'm pretty sure I also bought a band saw at Harbor Freight so I could open the d*mn package.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Can also hang together bar clamps across the top.

Reply to
norminn

snipped-for-privacy@k5g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

Heh, that sounds familiar :)

I ordered a flash drive a few days ago (Staples only sells 4 gig ones and want $30 for them? no thank you! Driving through the parking lot at Micro Center convinced me that I didn't want to be bothered going inside. This is why people order online.) and it showed up Wednesday. I was cussing because my pocketknife was not sharp enough to cut the package open, nor was my chef's knife. I ended up having to cut the edge off the package with metal shears. Seriously.

nate

Reply to
N8N

snipped-for-privacy@k5g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

You know, you can buy that plastic wrap that they wrap palleted material in...the kind that sticks to itself. I have a roll at home that I use every now and then for various things ranging from wrapping

2 x 4's for transport to holding ice on my softball-playing daughter's knee. I think I paid like $2 for a roll that's been around for a year or more.

I wonder when they'll make a consumer version of the nuclear fusion sealed packaging material. I'm sure we'd find uses for it, even if it was just to seal up a softball-playing daughter's cell phone when she wises off. By the time she gets it open, we wouldn't be p*ssed off anymore.

Reply to
DerbyDad03