Ratchet crimp tool for insulated crimps - how to choose?

I have two or three ratchet crimp tools for insulated crimps but I'm thinking a new one may be a good idea.
One of the three is on the boat and will stay there (there may even be two on the boat!). At home I have one with interchangeable 'crimp bits' for insulated crimps, uninsulated crimps, ferrules and a couple of other things. I also have an 'expensive' CK branded one.
The interchangeable bit one is OK and I get a good crimp most of the time but the 'bit' occasionally drops out which is annoying when (as one often is) working in inaccessible places. The expensive CK one is awful, it needs superhuman wrist strength and then very often produces a bad crimp.
So, how does one decide what's a good crimp tool to buy. Price doesn't seem to be a good guide (e.g. CK) so what to go for?
--
Chris Green
·

On 13/08/2019 19:04, Chris Green wrote:

I'm also interested. I get better results from a non-ratchet crimper and have little confidence when I make a crimp connection with my two ratchet crimpers.
On 13/08/2019 21:20, Fredxx wrote:

Ratchet crimpers need to be adjusted to give the correct crimp, then they should be repeatable. Just because it has a ratchet doesn't mean its going to work properly when you buy it especially cheap ones. .
On 13/08/2019 22:05, dennis@home wrote:

These had minimal, if any, adjustment.
scribeth thus

Used this sort for years never a problem:)
https://www.toolstation.com/expert-ratchet-crimper/p11261
cheaper here!..
https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03009/ratchet-crimping-tool/dp/TL08620 ?st=ratchet%20crimpers
--
Tony Sayer

But the above two aren't actually the same are they.
The Toolstation ones are Silverline branded (variable in my experience, most Silverline tools are OK but I've had the occasional non-OK one).
The CPC ones are Duratool (CPC own brand, mostly) which are also usually OK, in fact I think I'd trust them a bit more than Silverline.
Both of the above are just 'generic' ratchet crimps made in China and branded by someone over here. They might not even continue to be the same tool. I'm fairly happy to take a punt at the CPC Duratool ones but it would be nice to get some user experience.
--
Chris Green
·

[Snip]

Duratool is not a CPC own brand
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 11:03:09 +0100, charles wrote:

Yes, I've seen them elsewhere. Maplin, for a start.
On 14/08/2019 11:03, charles wrote:

Quite, it's a Farnell owned brand, in a group who happen to also own CPC.

Oh dear. I've always considered Duratool to be pretty poor quality. Not what I'd expect from CPC-Farnell. As a previous poster said, I always assocxiated it with Maplin.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

So, not quite a CPC own brand but near enough. Like Diall is a B&Q own brand, along with some other stores.
--
Chris Green
·

scribeth thus

No idea now where any of the ones we have around came from!
But they just work,and work fine never had any instances of pullout unlike the shite "pliers" type!
You just put the wire in the right size, colour coded, crimp Red thin "ish" Blue next thicker and Yellow thickest squeeze the handle's and when the ratchet drops out job done, you can adjust the ones we have come to think of it but never have they as said simply work!
I expect you can get them from RS Components like we have for co-ax cable crimpers around prolly a 100 quid more expensive of course;!.
However the crimps do vary in quality there are some more expensive up market ones but those from TLC electrical or Toolstation are find 'n dandy:)
They do the same crimpers here blow up the pix and you can see the adjuster gubbins..
FWIW they do some bigger sizes too..
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DVDHCR15.html
--
Tony Sayer

On 14/08/2019 14:55, tony sayer wrote:

+1
I've had problems with the Yellow crimps purchased from Ebay but not with some originally purchased from Toolsatan (I'm not sure that TS do all three sizes these days). Some yellow crimps seem too easy to crimp (too soft) BUT too easy to deform again to pull out the wire.
I've not had problems with red and blue crimps from various sources.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Toolstation do have all sizes in some types the common ones, but not all.
An electrical wholesaler seems a better bet TLC have most of them..
--
Tony Sayer

On 13/08/2019 22:05, dennis@home wrote:

What are the guidelines for determining the correct setting. Obviously if adjusted too far one way it becomes difficult to close the crimper all the way without superhuman effort but how far can you go the other way? You might reach a point at which the crimp is still obviously loose but how tight is tight enough?
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 11:11:06 +0100, Mike Clarke

IEC 60352-2 is the relevant standard.
https://ekahroba.com/electrica/uploads/posts_files/298/pdf-iec-60352-2-ekahroba.pdf
S5.2.2.1 is the pull out force table.
The crimp height is set by using a lead wire (or similar) of 4.8mm for yellow terminals and 3.2mm for blue and red. When crimped in the tool the deformed lead should measure 3.35mm for yellow, 2.44mm for blue and 2.08mm for red.
In practice the tools seem to come pretty well at the correct setting and adjustment is usually only one position either way on the small adjustment wheel.

I assume that if you adjust it so the die faces meet completely even with the biggest crimps full of wire then the force us sufficient. More force than is necessary to appose the die faces will tend to distort the levers and cannot improve the crimp.
--

Roger Hayter

On 14/08/2019 17:57, Roger Hayter wrote:

The problem is if you use 6 mm2 wire in a yellow then it should require a different setting to 5 mm2 in a yellow. Its worse if you plan on putting multiple wires in the same side of the crimp. I doubt if the same setting will satisfy the standards for each case.

That may seem so but we've been using these things for some what?, 20 years now. Not one has failed or come apart, there does seem to be a decent tolerance on the sizes..
--
Tony Sayer

The jaws/dies are not flexible (at hand tool forces, anyway) so if set up to do the most difficult case they will not over-crimp an easier one. Just put unnecessary strain on the tool.
--

Roger Hayter