Using crimped bullet connectors for earth continuity

I'm guessing this is not kosher on the basis the connection can be quite easily pulled apart? Are there any regs on the subject? (<groan> like there's NOT going to be!)
ta.
snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

Nothing wrong with crimps.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

But is there anything wrong with bullet connectors, not good to allow the earth to be disconnected easily, separate to the other conductors?
Andy Burns wrote:

Ah. I read it as through connectors.
Bullet connectors are a no no.
Thanks Andy.
--
Adam

On Sunday 11 August 2013 17:58 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Don;t use bullet connectors anywhere near mains. They are good for bugger all apart from your car radio,

No No and three times No!. Bullet connectors are not to be used on Earth systems.
Crimped with a good ratchet crimper and decent crimps are just fine as good as cold welding ...
--
Tony Sayer

On Sunday, 11 August 2013 22:43:12 UTC+2, tony sayer wrote:

Non-sequitur alert! I seem to have broken several otherwise-perfectly-intelligent people's brains with this simple query. ;)
On 11/08/2013 23:36, snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

It might be the similarity between butt crimps and bullet crimps. The former (permanent cable jointing method) are fine, the latter (demountable), not.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sunday 11 August 2013 23:36 snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Why are you using bullet connectors anyway? Did you not have any barrel crimps?

On Monday, 12 August 2013 07:33:10 UTC+2, Tim Watts wrote:

Yeah, loads of them. But this was just a temporary lash-up to see if the motor functioned, so I took no trouble over cable routing.
On 12/08/2013 11:31, snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

Would something like this be a better for testing? http://www.burntec.com/Quick_Test_Mains_Connection_Box
(First hit on google, not necessarily the cheapest/best supplier)
--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
On 12/08/2013 13:10, Toby wrote:

Not exactly three phase though is it? ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 12/08/2013 22:29, John Rumm wrote:

Then glue two together then ;-)
--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply

Well seeing that there are some reading this who -might- think that this is OK will do it on a permanent system with a none to good outcome if it goes wrong.
Yes, if you --Know--- what you are doing and under some circumstances then you can do that, but at a risk of encouraging some to do it who might think its OK on a longer term permanent basis .. then best not...
--
Tony Sayer

Unless you put isolating switches on both sides of the connectors, thus preventing a risk of shock when breaking the earth circuit ;-).
AB

On Sunday 11 August 2013 16:45 snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I do not see any probem with properly made crimps - a proper crimp will NOT pull apart. It may pull apart if you use a crap halfords set of "scissor" crimps though.
One you get to main earth connections, likelihood is you will be out of standard insulated crimps and into larger uninsulated crimps.
What is the conductor size and what type of earth are you proposing to crimp?

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:05:32 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

The crimps are OK, but for something safety critical like an earth, I'd not want easily detachable (tool-less) connections to it!
I think electrical earths require a continuous conductor between the earth bar and clamps etc.,
On Sunday, 11 August 2013 18:05:32 UTC+2, Tim Watts wrote:

Er, bullet connectors are *supposed* to be pull-apartable and I'm concerned they may do so accidentally thereby disconnecting the earth.

230V motor grounding, 2.5mm^2 x-section earth wire. For the purposes of this temporary lash-up, I'm using the blue connectors. They ARE crimped properly, but It just doesn't seem right somehow to make this arrangement permanent.
On Sunday 11 August 2013 18:47 snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

There is no problem at all with what you are doing.
Well done crimps are better than screw terminals and you'd use those wouldn't you?

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:13:29 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Either screws or crimped... all a bit academic if the bullet connector has been parted...!