Using crimped bullet connectors for earth continuity

Indeed. These are the 'permanent' type. I have to admit to struggling a bit these days with the crimping process (my age, no doubt). I wonder if there 's a civilised alternative to those clumping great ratchet thingies you hav e to be Popeye to close fully? I know there are hydraulic types available f or thicker cables, but it would be nifty if something similar were obtainab le for the red/blue/yellow standard as well.

Reply to
orion.osiris

Unless you put isolating switches on both sides of the connectors, thus preventing a risk of shock when breaking the earth circuit ;-).

AB

Reply to
Archibald

On Sunday 11 August 2013 23:36 snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Why are you using bullet connectors anyway? Did you not have any barrel crimps?

Reply to
Tim Watts

A couple of lengths of appropriately sized tubing to fit over the end of the handles of the ratchet crimper and extend them a few inches would do the trick.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well seeing that there are some reading this who -might- think that this is OK will do it on a permanent system with a none to good outcome if it goes wrong.

Yes, if you --Know--- what you are doing and under some circumstances then you can do that, but at a risk of encouraging some to do it who might think its OK on a longer term permanent basis .. then best not...

Reply to
tony sayer

Yeah, loads of them. But this was just a temporary lash-up to see if the motor functioned, so I took no trouble over cable routing.

Reply to
orion.osiris

Would something like this be a better for testing?

(First hit on google, not necessarily the cheapest/best supplier)

Reply to
Toby

Not exactly three phase though is it? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Then glue two together then ;-)

Reply to