Crimping etc

Just been tweaking the wiring of my lad's new campervan, my no-name ratchet crimper for insulated terminals is getting a bit tired. I don't do a lot of crimping so not after a full "industrial" model, but does anyone have any recommendations for something that performs well? The screwfix ones seem to get reasonable reviews.

Changing the subject slightly, has anyone tried those "heat shrink plus solder" connectors? Obviously you will need fresh, clean wire but my soldering experience leads me to be slightly skeptical over how well they will work. I suppose the pressure from the heat shrink will help, and perhaps they use an active flux.

Reply to
newshound

My experience is that there's not a lot of correlation between price and quality. I have three or four tools for insulated crimps, mostly bought on price, but I have one CK branded one which was (a little) more expensive and is by far the worst of them. I think my 'go to' one is one I bought from CPC quite a while ago.

Reply to
Chris Green

A bigclive test

alan_m

If you're referring to car wiring - flex rather than solid core mains - get the correct terminals and crimp tool from the likes of Vehicle Wiring Products. I've seen lots of failures on cars due to using those pre-insulated terminals - they are not gas tight and corrode in time. As well as looking a cheap bodge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

interesting...more like Woods metal than solder

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are not new.

I remember Tandy selling "solder with a match" tape in the late 70s.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Fair point, but the work I was doing was around the leisure battery box in the "inside" area, so less potentially exposed than most car wiring. The voltage sensitive relay kit that I fitted (it's Euro 4, no smart alternator) came with some of the cabling, including a "proper" sealed terminal at the main battery connection. My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that the pre-insulated terminals are rated for flex as well as solid conduction.

Reply to
newshound

Indeed. I'm guessing that to melt "real" solder properly you would risk burning the heat shrink. Sort of impressive, but I don't think I'll bother to get any.

Reply to
newshound

Fit one using the best crimp tool that exists. Now cut off the insulation and look at the crimp. Compare to one on the OEM car loom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Probably not. But possibly beyond te range of a heat gun

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Get the self-igniting version instead ...

Andy Burns

They're sold by respectable companies as well as FaceBook etc ads. ;-)

I've got some and they seem OK - assuming the wire is perfectly clean, which older stuff may not be. But then I'd not have a joint in anything I considered critical.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

If I'm putting heat shrink over a soldered joint, I solder it first (with sleeve already on the wire, obvs), then move the sleeve down over the joint and then use the soldering iron to shrink the sleeve.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In the past I've investigated crimped and silver soldered "industrial" terminations by sectioning for metallographic and SEM investigation. I recognise that my recent stuff might not meet OEM standards, but I reckon I can make reliable crimped or soft soldered connections for loas of 4 amp or so in flex rated for 40A.

Reply to
newshound