Air Purifiers

I'm thinking of getting one of those home air purifiers to rid my house of dust. I can't figure figure out where the hell it comes from. My home is vacuumed and dusted at least twice a week. Do these things really work? I want to be totally rid of the dust. I'm looking at the trion by fedders at home depot. Thanks as usual.

Reply to
Don

You can cut down on the dust, but you're never going to be completely rid of it. Any equipment will only filter the air while it's running, so you should keep it on 24/7. Are you talking about a stand alone or whole house unit?

Reply to
Bob

Dust comes in from the upper atmosphere. Agricultural activity generates a lot of dust. Here in Minnesota we joke that it all comes in from the North Dakota wheat fields. Just imagine how much dust is created when they plow those fields!

You do not want to buy one of the ozone generators or de-ionizers. I have owned the Honeywell stand-alone filter for years and they work great. I have one next to my bed. It includes both a charcoal pre-filter and a HEPA filter and scrubs the air to a microscopic level.

The ones that really work have a fan that actually blows filtered air around. If it doesn't have a fan, then it doesn't really work. The only drawback is the noise. To reduce noise buy a larger unit and then run it on low. I don't know anything about the whole house filters but it seems like they would work while the fan is running.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

I'm looking at a stand alone unit and figured I'd move it a couple times a day to do the whole house. Running full time will it do the job?

Reply to
Don

I'm in the same situation. My household includes 3 dogs & 2 cats, which I'm sure adds to the dust load. DW vacuums religiously with our central vac, got a 3M Filtrete in the downstairs air handler, & 3 more Filtrete filters in the upstairs return air intakes. I bought a couple Bemiss Console Humidifiers, which include an air filter, about a month ago. They don't seem to be doing anything for the dust, but the moister air certainly makes the house more comfortable.

After browsing more air filter sites than I can count, I ordered a Friedrich C-90B Electronic Air Cleaner.

From what I read, it seemed like it might do a decent job without having to spend major bucks regularly on replacement filters. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for it to get here. Ordered on Jan 22 from the least expensive online shop I could find. Probably a dumb thing to do.

Looking forward to hear what others here have to say.

David

Reply to
newsreader

Depends on the model. You have to look at air changes per hour and then match that to the cubic feet of your home. If you have allergies, get one that's HEPA rated.

Reply to
Bob

You should only have one air filter in any air stream. Otherwise you are severely restricting the air flow and can burn out any air-cooled blower motor.

Bob

I guess I wasn't too clear on that. The basement unit has a 20 x 25 filter in the unit, where the return feeds into the side. The attic unit has 3 in-ceiling returns, each one having a 18 x 18 filter.

I'd think with all these filters I'd see less dust.

Reply to
newsreader

I've been using air purifiers for 6 years now, 1 in the family room & 1 in the bedroom. I used to live in the desert with lots of construction plus I have 4 cats. Also my house is 80% wood & 20% tile. I'm building a new house with the same specs.

Carpet is a big culprit of dust, to me carpet is a horizontal dust trap.When you vacuum, you pick up only partial amounts of dust, the rest gets agitated and released in the air. After living in a house with carpet all my life, it's amazing how clean the air is with no carpet. One thing I noticed with a air purifier is how fresh the air is when breathing. Again, I live in a no carpet environment, so I'm not sure how effective a air purifier is in a carpeted house. I also use 3M filters for my air ducts, they trap a lot as well.

Reply to
Zzyzx

If you have particles floating in the air your furnace filter may not be sealed tight in the frame or a poor quality filter. Trion? If you mean an Air Bear, by Trion it is a great 4" furnace filter with positive case seals. April Air does not hve a positive case seal. I would look at a Trion furnace Air Bear filter, apx 400$. Don`t look into standalone Ionic Breeze type, they emit o3-Ozone, a proven lung irritant. A standalone unit I dought will cure you, Try a standalone unit from Sears or wherever you can return, you get 30 days to find out. Shampooing carpets can really help alot.

Reply to
m Ransley

You can't get rid of all dust, and you're going to drive yourself crazy even trying to get rid of most of it.

Do you have kids or are you planning to? Dust is good for them. Living where there is none makes them vulnerable to asthma etc. when they finally encounter it.

mm

It should help reduce dust. If you want to reduce allergens get a HEPA rated unit.

I might suggest considering what vacuum is being used. I greatly decreased the amount of dust when I switched to a central vacuum system that vented outside. You can also find HEPA filtered standard style vacuums.

I will strongly suggest that you don't consider getting the Sharper Image scam filter. Sure it "helps" reducing dust, but so would waving a damp cloth in the air. If you want to put 20 of them in a room, it likely would give some reasonable amount of reduction, but one of those in a room is not going to make an noticeable difference in the amount of dust.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

A major component of dust is dead skin cells and pet dander. As long as you're living in your home, dust will accumulate.

If you want to get rid of dust, the best way is to eliminate the things that trap it - carpets, draperies, plush furniture, etc. No air cleaner is going to get rid of all the dust, since at any given time most of it is sitting in your carpets and furniture.

Reply to
Random Netizen

Two questions:

1) How fresh is the air when not breathing? 2) How do you tell the difference?

I've met a lot of people that were totally convinced that their "air purifier" was doing a wonderful job, when in reality it didn't make much of a difference.

In any event, unless you have allergies, dust isn't going to bother you too much. As a species we've been living with dust for thousands of years, after all...

Reply to
Random Netizen

One of those regular Ionic Breeses puts out 50 ppm o3 hr. 50 ppm o3 is the 8 hr exposure Epa limit, Although O3 dissapates from the filter, in an enclosed room with no air circulation it wont., it will build up. Put

20 in a tight house you oxidise your lungs.
Reply to
m Ransley

Yea, and today they advertise their great converter that "Converts O³ to oxygen (O³ of course is oxygen) and they also mention smog, that is converted to oxygen, but the part of smog that is converted is O³. They never say how much is converted, but I'll bet it is less than it adds for a net gain.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I saw that ad for the Ionic Breeze crap, I see the catalyst does not cover the whole "clean air" exhaust, since air pressure is lower where it is not going through the catalyst I wonder what is the % of "Clean" air expelled through the catalyst. A quick look puts it at 50% coverage but air going through may be only 5%, a 5% reduction of 50ppb o3 is not much, it is still 45 ppb o3. Im glad Consumer Reports slammed Sharper image and won the suit brought by Sharper image. I see little of their untrue advertising any more. But many people potentialy harm them selves still from o3 producing units.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have used the standalone filters for years. If the objective is to breathe less dust then you will do well with one of these filters. They vastly reduce the amount of airborne dust in the room. If you have pets, are a smoker, or do a lot of cooking then you will notice the difference right away. It goes without saying that these devices only reduce (not eliminate) airborne dust and do nothing to prevent the problem. I love my filter.

Reply to
Lawrence

On a scale of 1-10, it is a 10

I have had allergies for years with chronic sinititus, the filters took most of the allergen causing dust out of the air. It's real simple, dust gets into air, you inhale dust, the dust dries back in the nostrils, it casues post nasel drip, you get sick, repeat. My wife who does not have allergies said even to her the air was a lot fresher then before the filters.

purifier" was doing

Really, is this just a feeling you have or do you have documented proof that they are wrong and you are right?

too much. As a

Have you been to the Las Vegas or Phoenix where they have been under going a one of the largest building booms in the last 15 years? Before the boom they had a protected top layer of crust. That protective top layer of crust has been ripped up for construction, they cities are always covered in dust. Not natural occurring dust, but man made insane amounts of dust.?

We have been living with a lot of different elements for 1000's of years, but we have altered some of those elements including the environment with medicine, better drinking water, food, etc. Ever wonder why people only lived 40-50 years old and now the life expectancy in pushing 80?

Reply to
Zzyzx

Sylvan Learninig Centers used to, iirc, imply they taught children the material (math or history or something, I assumed) , but the current commercials only say they teach them "confidence". A much more modest claim, although still not something one could be sure of. I don't know how long it takes, or how they plan to do it.

mm