Air Purifier

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with home air purifiers. What I'm asking about is one like the link below shows,

I'm mainly interested in reducing the amount of dust in the air, which of course ends up on the floor, furniture etc, etc. My house doesn't have a forced air heat or cooling so I think that's what I have so much dust, as I have no pets, kids or for that fact I'm not home all week as I travel for work. There's nothing there stirring the air so I'm assuming it's the lack of air movement that is the problem?

So my main question is would these type of air purifiers help to trap the dust in the air and keep it off everything else?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

Yes it will help, but you have dust coming from somewhere lack of circulation does not create dust. Could be carpet, smokers, shoes air infiltration (you have that, we all do) etc.. That air filter will help, but may not do as much as you would like.

A cheaper air cleaner may work as well. You appear to be concerned with just dust and not allergy issues so a less expensive non HEPA may work as well or better in some ways.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi Joseph,

Your right, my main concern is trying to control dust, but anything else that gets pulled out of the air would be a definite bonus. I. thinking I may buy one for a single room and give it a try to see how much benefit I see from it.

I'm looking at the Hunter brand that Lowes sells, they're not extremely pricey and they have a mail in rebate going on right now.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

I guess the big problem is how many of these you would need to make a significant impact on the whole house. Dust isn't going to travel very far before it settles down on furntiture, etc. Have you checked obvious sources for dust, like does your vacuum cleaner have an excellent filter and is it working correctly?

Reply to
trader4

Short answer is yes..... but. I have used the honeywell brand filters for years they have them at the BORG. Here's a link to an example:

The filter is good at keeping the air clean for breathing purposes. It does NOT "keep it off everything else". You will still have dust on the edges and corners of the room. Any horizontal surface has the tendency to collect dust and will continue to do so even with a filter.

I like my filter a lot expcept it's a bit noisy. That goes without saying since it is fan operated. It is better to buy a larger unit and run it on low to minimize the noise rather than the reverse. The ones that don't use a fan don't really work.

The best place for the unit is near the bed so you can breath clean air while sleeping. Smoking, cooking, and pets are great reasons to buy one as well.

If you are a smoker this thing will scoop up airborne smoke instantly. On the honeywell they guarantee the hepa for the life of the appliance. there is also a carbon pre-filter which has to be changed every so often and it protects the main filter from the larger particles.

Reply to
Lawrence