Air Conditioner Unit for Mobile Home

Hi,

Im looking for a Grandair or Goodman package unit air conditioner for my 28X80 mobile home. Looking to buy one online and have my brother, a contractor install it. Any advice is appreciated.

Jerome Kurchel

Google

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If your brother is a contractor he can probably get a better price locally. A lot of those internet places take advantage of the fact that a homeowner can't even get a system price out of a local hvac supplier. Most hvac contractors charge the customer more for the system than they paid plus charge for installation. On top of the premium price the internet places also charge a couple hundred for shipping.

Or search crais list for a used but not real old one. Package units such as are normally found on mobile homes are a lot easier to uninstall.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Thanks, I'll check it out. We live in the middle of nowhere so its toucgh getting someone out here to gimme an estimate.

I appreciate your help

Jerome Kurchel

Hey J,

Here's a link to a Goodman package unit and I think I saw some Grandaire units on there too. You looking for a self contained heat pump? The other guy answering you said internet charges for shipping but this company says they ship for free anywhere. Check er out:

There's

a couple 14 seer heat pump units on there you might still be able to get a tax rebate on. Although the big rebate expired and Obama lowered it to $300 instead of $1500. Oh well, take what you can while you can!

Good luck in your search.

Ricky Levitz "Repairman Extraordinaire" Monroe County

Reply to
R Levitz

If you're out in the middle of the country you might find a local distributor that's a little more friendly and willing to sell you a system. I've noticed they don't seem to get so worked up about a homeowner installing their own stuff in rural areas as they do in the cities. I think the rural communities are more adjusted to the idea that you might want to do your own work. Sometimes the local farm supply places can order them too so that's another place to check. There was a place I used to get them from near my lake house at the va/ nc border. They didn't ask too many questions if you had money. They went out of business in the crash though. The local distributors here in Raleigh won't sell me a system. They will sell me parts. NC has a specifc hvac contractors license so it varies from state to state. I don't have the hvac contractor license but I do have the refrigerant license so at least I can buy refrigerant. Beauty of package units is you don't have to mess with the refrigerant lines.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Might check with your electric company, sometimes they have some good deals. Mine has a free energy audit and then rebates on energy efficient upgrades.

Reply to
Fat Dumb & Happy

advice? Look into something besides Goodman.

Reply to
Steve Barker

They ship for free because they have inflated their prices a bunch.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I recently bought a Rheem system from ACwholesalers.com. Was very happy with the price, shipping is included, delivery was prompt. I think they carry Goodman too, though I'd go with the Rheem over Goodman. Rheem had a higher rating at Consumer Reports in terms of less problem reports than even companies like Trane and Carrier. But I think CR's conclusion was that statistically the companies they rated were close. There is a difference in price though.

But I also agree with the advice to have your contractor brother buy the system from a traditional supplier, if it works out cost wise. The internet companies don;t offer the same full manufacturer's warranty that you'd get through the normal channel. You'll get a parts replacement via return to the internet company at best. The AC eqpt companies I looked at flat out state they will not honor warranties on internet purchases.

Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

de quoted text -

It's not really rocket science to install a package unit. Maybe a bit more complicated that a regular appliance but not by much.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Call the closest mobile home sales place, especially one who takes in trades.

Reply to
Tony Miklos