A different kind of neighbor problem

My neighbor occasionally parks his car in front of my house. It usually doesn't stay there for long -- maybe a few hours. But as of today he has had his car parked in front of my house for three or four days.

Now, I know the street is public and that anyone can sort of park anywhere (with limits). But besides just not wanting to look out my window and see his car (an old but nicely maintained VW bug), two things are happening. He's making it very difficult for the letter carrier to get to my mailbox. I'm sure she has to get out of her car to put mail in my box. Second, he's making it difficult for the elderly woman across the street to back out of her driveway. She's worried that she'll hit his car.

I get along with this neighbor just fine but am worried about my approach should I initiate a conversation. I don't want to come across as angry and destroy a good relationship.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Tell the neighbor what you've told us. Or, better yet, _ask_ in a nice way why the car has been there for a while while pointing out the problems it is causing. Start friendly and assume nothing.

LB

Reply to
LB

According to Suzie-Q :

Say that the mail delivery person complained ;-)

In that way you get the blame put on someone other than yourself or the lady across the street, and it's easy to avoid being angry in such a conversation.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Can you tell your neighbor that you are going to mow your lawn, or run a weed wacker, or paint the mailbox, or something, and you don't want to accidentally get any dirt/paint/etc. on his car?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Do you have any idea of his reasons for doing this?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Perfectly legal in most places.

What are those limits? If the car is registered and legal, most towns allow you to park it on the street forever. Maybe the neighbor takes it out for a ride during the night while you sleep.

Now these may be legitimate complaints. I don't know the law about obstructing a mailbox, but the carrier does not have to deliver if the mailbox is obstructed. You could mention these concerns to the neighbor andhe may neve park there again so it does not get hit by the lady across the street. Problem solved.

Anyone that promotes a web site dedicated to male bashing does come across as angry and has not had good relationships.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Surely you don't need our advice on how to approach a friend. You are an adult, no?

Reply to
badgolferman

I had the exact same problem I will go a step further they had some furniture delivered and both there cars were in my driveway. They did move the cars when I came home. These are also a good neighbors and friends for

12 years, but it still annoys you when they park in front of your house ( this is also across the street). This is what worked for me I started parking in front their house and would leave my vehicle there for the weekend even. This worked, didn't take that long, never anything said about it and still friends. But I never could figure out why he started parking his car in front of my house.

"Suzie-Q" wrote n message news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.west.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

You might want to learn why. Maybe someone is ill and can't conveniently move it, or got called away suddenly and did not think about moving it.

Hopefully it does not come to it, but you may want to check locally. Most places do have limits on how long a car can park on a street. Where I live it is 24 hours. Well I think it is, I have not checked since I moved

10 years ago to a suburb.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This isn't even a problem yet. If you mention what you've posted to your neighbor in a friendly manner and they decide they still want to park in front of your house (which is perfectly legal) then you have a bit of a problem.

Face your fears and go talk to your neighbor. Most likely they have no idea they are causing a problem and will be happy to park somewhere else when you inform them they are.

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Actually many cities have time limits for vehicles parked on public streets. Like 72 hours for instance.

Reply to
G Henslee

Don't do anything but be direct. Just say, "I value you as a neighbor. I think you would help me in most any situation."

And then proceed to ask if he would please not leave the car there because it causes problems with the mailman and the elderly lady. Say you are concerned that the elderly lady or the mailman might damage his classic car. You might even stretch it a bit and say that you have seen them come close on a couple of occasions. It wouldn't be much of a stretch, if they're anything like my mailman or elderly neighbor.

Chances are, you will get what you want and still keep the good relationship.

Don't be evasive and put the blame on someone else. Children do that. Adults go straight to the problem, approach it politely, and stay to the facts.

If he is an adult, he will respond positively.

If he isn't, it will just be a matter of time before the car gets damaged, and you will have been the one who said it might happen.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If that doesn't work, spread a very few roofing nails where he parks in front of your house. He won't want to park there if his tires go flat every time he does so. You can blame *that* on neighborhood kids.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

if you talk to him in a nice way about it , he will probably be glad to move it. you know,, waving to your neighbors keeps things freindly to i think. lucas

Reply to
ds549

Please be aware that you can quote with webtv. Yes, you can make it act like a real newsreader.

Reply to
G Henslee

Say something like: "You're like the nicest neighbor I've ever had, and the smartest, so I can't figure out why you always park right there, is there some reason?"

Always throw in more positive than neg and it will be fine.

Dean

Reply to
dean

Some cities also prohibit *any* vehicle from being parked on the street "overnight" (e.g. between 3am and 6am) without a permit. Pasadena CA was like that 30 years ago. I don't know if it still is.

Reply to
Vic Dura

If all this friendly action fails, ask again holding a can of gasoline and a lighter.

Did anyone even ask if he has currently ANYTHING parked in front of his own home???

I had a similar problem with my neighbor, she LOVES parking her car in front of my house (not really much of an issue) but her car is a real piece of sh*t and leaks worse than the EXXON Valdez. You havent seen oil slicks from a car until you've seen this one.

In any case instead of directly confronting her, I simply started parking my own cars in the street. (I have three) Slowly I started inching my way back and sure enough, she knows that I park my cars now in front of my home and she parks hers in front of hers. (mind you my neighbor didnt even park EVER in their own driveway)

She's as friendly as ever and didnt even have to directly confront her about it. Once in awhile she's back only because the landscapers come and park directly in front of her own home. No biggie with that. Later on she moves it back.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

Suzie-Q wrote in news:sme617x- snipped-for-privacy@news1.west.earthlink.net:

If it is interfering with the mail carrier's duties,they will put a note on the vehicle,or request a police officer put a warning or ticket on the vehicle.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:KaYte.13$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Nothing like someone who advocates vandalism to "solve" a problem.

Reply to
Jim Yanik