Neighbor problem (long)

4 yrs ago, new neighbors moved in adjacent to my property.

The neighbor talked about building a deck. He didn't have a clue how to go about it. Being in the trades years ago, I volunteered to "help" him. Needless to say, he was my helper. Tis ok, that's what I loved about our neighborhood, everyone always offer to help someone else. BTW, this was no charge for all my effort. He said once the deck was built, he would have a cookout inviting all the neighbors.

While we were "at it", we took out his patio slider, replaced it with French doors. I still have my brake & some coils of aluminum, so all the exterior trim work was done at my expense.

Well, he threw a party all right. Inviting all his relatives and not one neighbor, not even myself or my family. Ok, I need to get over it and move on. But, he & his family are absolute pigs. The patio doors are still leaning against his garage, 2 years later. He has trash such as carpet laying out by the deck, which has been there for at least a year. One neighbor moved away because this guy refuses to mow his yard until the city makes him. He has a commercial sit down new "Scag". He parks his trailer for the mower in his front yard. The city has made him move his trailer numerous times.

There's no talking to this guy, he's has an excuse for everything. I told him I seen mice in the carpet, he said he doesn't have time to dispose of it.

His place is an eye sore, simply because he's lazy. I'm embarrassed to have company over, cause from my deck, it looks like I live next door to a dump. This guy has no less than 4 old snowblowers sitting around in his back yard.

Aside from calling the city, and bothering them every week. Anyone have any suggestions? Yeah, I could move. He's already chased one family out of the neighborhood, really don't want to give him the satisfaction of chasing out another.

Reply to
Carmen Troyer

Send a anymous letter from the so and so street improvement association detailing the issues visible from the street or other peoples back yards and mail it to him no return address. say he is running down home values

say if these issues arent attended too the neighborhood will complain to the community which may result in hassles and fines.

it cant hurt as long as you tell no one you sent it and it might help....

if you have to move then get a more rural home so your neighbors are far enough away they cant bug you being slobs.

personally i just ignore sloppy neighbors messes, life is too short and ultimately they probably wouldnt care, so all the stress is yours.

if you decide to sell ask neighbor nicely you will clean up his yard to make your home easier to sell

Reply to
bob haller

Every city has ordinances prohibiting this kind of thing. Go down to city hall and file a complaint. If nothing happens, file another one. If there is still no action start with the Mayors office and then go to a council meeting and ask to have a report on the progress. Squeaky wheel and all that, ya know...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If you have a zoning laws related to fences, submit a permit request for a fence that is higher than allowed - even if you don't want a fence.

That will get you on the town board's radar, where you can plead your case that the property is an eye-sore and you'd like them to do something about it.

"You don't want us to put up 8' fences because they are ugly, yet you won't do anything about the ugliness of the property at (insert address here). I'll withdraw my permit request if you'll do something about the mess that I am forced to look at every day."

For the cost of the permit, it might be worth it to make it "official".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Looks like you learned the hard way that no good deed goes unpunished. This kind of experience turns off people who, like the writer, just wanted to be neighborly. It might sound crass, but "next time" some guidelines should be set out in advance, to avoid disillusionment. Don't give up on people; they're not all like that!

Whatever course of action you decide on, take LOTS of pictures in advance. Speak louder than words.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

re: if you decide to sell ask neighbor nicely you will clean up his yard to make your home easier to sell"

Better yet, lie about moving.

If you'd be willing to clean up the neighbor's yard prior to moving, then you should be willing to clean up the yard and stay.

Tell the slob that your house is going on the market, clean up the mess and then say that family/financial/pet related issues have forced you to change your mind about moving.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Start looking at him like you want to kill him. If your wife is still friendly with his wife, have her tell her that you haven't been taking your court ordered medications and "I'm afraid he's going to snap any minute." Worked for me.

The thing is, they have to fear you.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Its imortant to avoid at all costs strarting a neighborhood war!!!

Wars are ugly and everyone looses...

Your far better off moving, or the complaints and retaliatory complaints can make everyone miserable

messy neighbor might be great litigator, costing you money. even nuisance suits need defending:(

Reply to
bob haller

Hire Ben Quick:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

How would a white lie about moving and then cleaning up the neighbor's yard for him start a war?

How have you harmed him in any way that would cause him to retaliate?

In the end, he should be thankful that you took care of some items that he claimed (according to the OP) "he doesn't have time to dispose of".

If the OP doesn't want to lie, then he could put the house on the market at a price that no one will make an offer on ("I'm just trying to see if there is any interest") and then pull it when the clean-up is done. No lies and no cost...because if someone does bite, he can take the money and run!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I like the idea, but unfortunately it would have to be really high.

Here's a picture of part of the mess from the top tier of my deck. It's obvious the date it says it was taken is not correct. I took the picture today.

Carmen Troyer

mountain, meet molehill.

collect a bunch of stuff that you want to dispose of. knock on their door and offer to take that pile of junk to the dump for him.

Reply to
chaniarts

Offer to use your skills to add on to his deck and/or add a hot tub.

Tell him that the only place to put it is right where that pile of junk is.

Then, before he has a chance to move it to the side of the garage by your house, start staging your building materials there. Spread your stuff around so that he has no choice but to move the junk to the other side of the house.

QED

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Snip rant.

You can't win. You're pissed 'cause you didn't get invited to his party???

Turn off the emotion and consider it logically. Helping him clean up the best you can, at your expense, is cheaper than the simplest court battle. People like that are experts at taking advantage of people and making them miserable to get their way.

Do the best you can and live with the rest. Life is too short to obsess over this. More honey...less vinegar.

Reply to
mike

Every city has ordinances prohibiting this kind of thing. Go down to city hall and file a complaint. If nothing happens, file another one. If there is still no action start with the Mayors office and then go to a council meeting and ask to have a report on the progress. Squeaky wheel and all that, ya know...

Joe

Adding to Joes good idea. Take lots of pictures to show the mess. How do they that a picture is as good as 1000 words or something like that. ww

Reply to
WW

Can you figure out a way to screen off your view of his junk? That's what I did.

When my next door neighbor had major renovations done on his property the contractors created an awfully messy "retaining wall" which my neighbor wouldn't see unless he came over onto my front yard. That was seven years ago.

I decided discretion was the better part of valor, since the last thing I ever want in my life is a feud with a neighbor.

So, I went out and bought a bunch of arborvitae bushes at Home Despot over a few weeks time and planted them at the edge of my lot to grow into a screen:

To my next door neighbor's everlasting credit he popped over to see me a few days after I'd finished planted the last of those shrubs and insisted on paying me for them. I refused, but told him that if he'd feel better about it I'd be pleased to have him to make a contribution to a local charitable foundation we support.

He came right back with a check pretty much equaling what those arborvitae cost me and we've stayed on good terms ever since.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Be thankful you don't live next door to some of these pigs on Usenet, especially some of the ones whom responded to you.

It appears you probably live in a well to do area. Some of these pigs think that is nothing of a mess because they are used to the trailer park life.

Count your blessings!

Reply to
burton roberts

If it really bothers you that much, consider it your fault for not planting a hedge there when you bought the place. Plant a hedge now to get a start on it, unless you like having your house right up against someone else's.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:40:55 -0400, "Carmen Troyer" wrote Re Re: Neighbor problem (long):

It looks like a 10' hedge should provide the needed screening. If he moves out eventually, the new owners will probably be worse, since the neighborhood is obviously in decline; so it would be prudent to start the screen now.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

After reviewing the evidence I find the neighbor NOT guilty on count one of having to much junk, and for count two, the cook out? Probably has good cause to not invite you over for the cookout. Whomp Whomp Whomp. Case is dismissed. And you are lucky to not be held in contempt for wasting our precious time with this piddly bunch of nonsense.

Reply to
Fat Dumb & Happy