Subject Author Posted Replies

My Computer Changed The TIme By Itself
My computer is telling the correct hourly time. Is it because the new rules for changing our clocks happened to give the same day as if we followed the old rules? Or, did one of the Microsoft Windows...
37
37

Does anybody really know what time it is?
Some clocks say it's 10:08 Some say it's 11:08 Others say it's 12:08 The one in my car says it's 5:21 The one on my cellphone says it's 2:43 The one on my computer says it's 9:17 Just like the last...
28
28

Bam! Garage door over-the-door torsion spring snapped! How to replace?
My wife heard a big snap, and when I looked, I see what happened: counted 111 coils of what seems to be 1/4 inch steel, with a set length of 28.5 inches (but a broken untensioned total spring length...
131
131

Mold On Roof Shingles ?
Hello, Have noticed a fair amount of greenish Mold (or Moss ?) on shingles in some areas of my roof. Live in New England; gets quite cold up here during the winter. - Is it harmful for the Shingles ?...
14
14

Not enough choices
We live in a world without enough choices. When a baby is born, we only have male or female. I want a 3rd choice! When we go to vote for president, we only have Democrats or Republicans. I want a 3rd...
4
4

surge protectors for refrig and washing machine
Any recommendation for a surge protector (strip with a cord that plugs into wall) for a refrigerator (touch control panel on door) and a touch control Samsung washing machine (as separate appliances)?...
8
8

Refrig victim of Sandy
My bad, did not unplug refer during the power outage. Smelled something electrical when it came back online. Refrigerator section get semi-cool, freezer compartment 36-38. Lights work, ice maker...
21
21

I know where to go!
"When Everything Falls Apart, I Know Where To Go" You have probably heard this from a friend or acquaint- ance that has learned of your preps. The big question is: what was your response? The US...
32
32

How to live without electrcity
(A friend of mine wrote this about her experiences.) When the electric went out last year for the ice storm we did have to change a few things. We did the propane grill for cooking. We ran out of...
75
75

Monroe County, day six
County Name: MONROE, NYS Number of Customers Served: 282359 Number of Customers Out: 571 Percent of Customers Out: 0.2% Day Six, after the storm. Still almost 600 people without power. It's not Lawn...

Telemarketing Revisited
I just came across something that may interest some of the folks here who've been plagued by robocalls. O_o FTC shuts down five robocallers, aims to eliminate "Rachel" for good. FTC shuts down five...
2
2

FIOS doesn t work without AC?
Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC. Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the phone would..) I...
86
86

Presidential Burgers this coming Tuesday
A fast food restaurant is going to be offering two burgers this coming Tuesday, Nov 6 (election day). One will be the Obama burger, the other will be the Romney burger. Both will contain the same...
1
1

Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice
Going to install a transfer switch so I can run a generator to power oil fu= rnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/ Microwave). Will a 5000 watt peak generator do the trick? Any...
74
74

Garage door down spring and cables not connected can't raise it.
Power outage and raised the door by hand and wires came off track. Managed= to get the door down and now trying to adjust the pulleys all the tension = in the spring (I have a center one) is all let...
10
10