Mold On Roof Shingles ?

Hello,

Have noticed a fair amount of greenish Mold (or Moss ?) on shingles in some areas of my roof.

Live in New England; gets quite cold up here during the winter.

- Is it harmful for the Shingles ? (my primary question and concern)

- Will the cold temp. kill the stuff over the winter ?

- Will it rejuvenate itself in the Spring ? Or, just new patches in other areas likely ?

What causes ?

If it is really necessary to treat before the winter sets in, and I can get up there to spray it with something, what's good to use that won't harm the Shingles ?

Would prefer, I think, a commercial product rather than mixing something up myself.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

It's MOSS. Put some zinc sheet neer the top of the roof - the zinc ions work pretty well at killing moss. So does copper sulphate solution. Lots of commercial preps too - but most tend to stain anything they touch.

Reply to
clare

Why do you say that moss is an indicator ofa failing roof?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Once you begin to see that green stuff on your roof, that's an indicator it's time for a new roof. Replace it before winter or you will have leaks.

Reply to
lutherking

It is just a sign that the roof is staying damp and has organic material exposed. CAN be due to a deteriorated roof - but also can be due to being too well shaded with trees close by that have moss on THEM.

Reply to
clare

Moss is an indicator that a roofs going to fail at some point. The shingles keep lifting up as it grows.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

ALL roofs will fail at some point.

Reply to
clare

up till a number of years ago no roof around pittsburgh had that wierd discoloration, now every roof does that faces north. something big must of changed.

if you believe every roof needs replaced the shingle companies will be thrilled, at least around western pa its every home except those with metal roofs

theres a company that advertises they clean roofs, i dont know what they use but was told not to use bleach

Reply to
bob haller

It did. The makeup of the shingles changed. I think it was copper, but could have been something else that was added to the shingles to keep the moss and mold down. In order to make them cheaper , that was left out of the shingles, or greatly reduced.

I have seen it mentioned that if you take a copper wire and weave it in the shingles about every 4 or 5 rows, it will help.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My garage keeps getting blacker. The green moss that built up on my two sheds, lifting the shingles, gets to a half inch thick. Those are both under trees with complete shading.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I'm pretty sure zinc will work but not copper.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Greg?

Where do you live, I've never seen moss on a roof that thick, only on the north side of trees in a deep forest.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Undisturbed the moss makes a half decent roof - - -

Reply to
clare

Pittsburgh. I've seen it before on other houses sheds. My home sheds roof was going bad before I moved in 7 years ago. There are holes in the roof now, and walls. Been waiting to get tore down. Pine limbs also rest on top of roof adding to problem.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I've seen an inch on cedar shake roofs. Next to blue spruce trees or pine that totally shaded the roof. Can't remember which side - but damp because right down by the swamp

Reply to
clare