First I would suggest letting us know what kind of material the roof is
made of, it's age and condition. The area where you live would also be good
as weather conditions can also be a factor.
I would also suggest first making a plan to prevent the mold from
returning (think zinc.)
It's an asphalt shingle roof that's about ten years old. I poured a small
amount of bleach on a section to test the stain and it dissolved it. Just
don't want to have bleach pouring into the yard killing the grass. I live in
"Joseph Meehan" < email@example.com> wrote in message
Put the bleach in a spray bottle, available in many box stores.
There is also a bleach product already in a spray bottle called Clorox
Clean Up. It is of a lesser strength than plain Clorox.
Clorox bleach contains 6.0 % sodium hypochloride while the Clean Up
contains only 1.84%
Trim the trees back from overhaning the home unless your willing to
spend big bucks fixing the troubles they can cause.....
touch roof in storms? new shingles possible leaks
Clog gutters and just as bad drywell clog if thats where the water
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 09:10:55 -0700, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Problem we have here is squirrel crap/piss and what they drop on the roof
when they're eating up in the shaggy bark chestnut tree that overhangs my
garage. The moss/fungus/mold/whatever it is feeds on it. I have all my
gutters screened or I would be forever cleaning them by hand. I have large
oaks/maples and the chestnut in my yard as do neighbors. Glad the city
comes and gets our bagged leaves for free in the fall otherwise I would
have to pay hundreds to have a landscaper collect and haul them away. I
end up usually with 50+ 55gal size bags of 'compacted' leaves.
There are products that suggest mixing bleach with their product and
spraying it to the shingles to kill the fungus/mold. Since you live up
north, your results might be better than what I experienced in the
south. High humidity is what the fungus lives on. My conclusion was
that the stain can be removed, but it is only temporary at best. This
is especially true if any neighbor has it on their roof.
As for the zinc strip treatment to kill the fungus: It does have an
effect, but it is not 100% effective. We have several new roofs in the
neighborhood that had it installed, and it at best delays the start. In
a few years there is little difference. If a maker of shingles invented
something embedded into the shingle that would kill the fungus, they
would become rich overnight.
They get rich by selling new shingles to replace roofs with mold. :-)
Copper strips are supposed to work too. I have been thinking about
laying a long copper wire, like a 12 ga. from an electrical cable, in
the aluminum ridge vent drain channel I have on the roof of my pool
house, the back of which is under a large Maple tree and never gets any
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.