Mold on Shingles

I have some dark mold showing up on the roof of the house and would like to clean it off before winter. Can anyone recommend one product over another to clean the mold?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
brian

First I would suggest letting us know what kind of material the roof is made of, it's age and condition. The area where you live would also be good as weather conditions can also be a factor.

I would also suggest first making a plan to prevent the mold from returning (think zinc.)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It's an asphalt shingle roof that's about ten years old. I poured a small amount of bleach on a section to test the stain and it dissolved it. Just don't want to have bleach pouring into the yard killing the grass. I live in southern Ohio.

Brian

Reply to
brian

on 9/16/2007 10:44 AM brian said the following:

Put the bleach in a spray bottle, available in many box stores. There is also a bleach product already in a spray bottle called Clorox Clean Up. It is of a lesser strength than plain Clorox. Clorox bleach contains 6.0 % sodium hypochloride while the Clean Up contains only 1.84%

Reply to
willshak

It's moss if it's the same stuff that's on my garage roof. Do you have trees hanging overhead as I do? I use a power washer to carefully blast it off without harming the shingles.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Trim the trees back from overhaning the home unless your willing to spend big bucks fixing the troubles they can cause.....

touch roof in storms? new shingles possible leaks

Clog gutters and just as bad drywell clog if thats where the water goes.

Reply to
hallerb

There are products that suggest mixing bleach with their product and spraying it to the shingles to kill the fungus/mold. Since you live up north, your results might be better than what I experienced in the south. High humidity is what the fungus lives on. My conclusion was that the stain can be removed, but it is only temporary at best. This is especially true if any neighbor has it on their roof.

As for the zinc strip treatment to kill the fungus: It does have an effect, but it is not 100% effective. We have several new roofs in the neighborhood that had it installed, and it at best delays the start. In a few years there is little difference. If a maker of shingles invented something embedded into the shingle that would kill the fungus, they would become rich overnight.

Reply to
Ken

They get rich by selling new shingles to replace roofs with mold. :-) Copper strips are supposed to work too. I have been thinking about laying a long copper wire, like a 12 ga. from an electrical cable, in the aluminum ridge vent drain channel I have on the roof of my pool house, the back of which is under a large Maple tree and never gets any sun.

Reply to
willshak

Problem we have here is squirrel crap/piss and what they drop on the roof when they're eating up in the shaggy bark chestnut tree that overhangs my garage. The moss/fungus/mold/whatever it is feeds on it. I have all my gutters screened or I would be forever cleaning them by hand. I have large oaks/maples and the chestnut in my yard as do neighbors. Glad the city comes and gets our bagged leaves for free in the fall otherwise I would have to pay hundreds to have a landscaper collect and haul them away. I end up usually with 50+ 55gal size bags of 'compacted' leaves.

Reply to
Meat Plow

And you have just made a battery. In a couple of weeks, aluminum will be full of holes. You really don't want the copper to come into contact with any other metals.

Reply to
M Q

No trees over the house, it's taken many years for this to show up. I also have very light colored shingles, if they were dark you may not even see it.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
brian

I may just try to be careful with bleach. I can buy it at Sam's in 2-1/2 gal jugs pretty cheep.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
brian