Copper wire vs. roof mold

Anyone ever heard of tacking a piece of bare copper wire on the ridge line of a house to prevent asphalt shingle mold?

The theory sounds solid, since most of the mold inhibitors contain copper.

Reply to
Rob Reali

I've used this stuff on two different homes here in Central Florida with perfect results, no mildew/fungus build-up. One home has had it in place for 10+ years and no signs of a problem.

Bishoop

It has been discussed many times, Yes, it will work. It may take several pieces of wire several feet apart.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Suggestions:

1) Remove existing mold. A pressure washer on a conservative setting works well. You should be able to remove mold without damaging your shingles. (Yes, I have experience with this). You can also use bleach to remove existing mold, but I prefer the pressure washer. Test a small area first to determine that the bleach treatment is ok. If you've got some spare shingles in your garage or shed, test on one of them. 2) Purchase copper strips designed for the task of preventing future mold. The strips aren't that expensive and they work well. Copper salts of any sort are pretty deadly for all plant life.

Good luck, Gideon

Reply to
Gideon