5x5 inch post, what size hose clamp?

I am mounting a flag pole holder on a 5x5 eight foot weight bearing pillar on my porch. The post is HB&G colonial synthetic permapost. It has a pipe up the middle for weight bearing but the outside is maybe 1/8th or less plastic filled with foam. I do not trust this post to hold a 3x5 flag on a 6 foot pole. I am buying a holder that both screws on and can be also strapped. What size wrap around strap do I need? Better suggestions welcome.

Reply to
Thomas

The outer plastic sleeve is for decoration to give your permapost a nice look. You will ruin the flimsy outer sleeve if your strap a flagpole to it with hose clamps. If you insist, I would suggest you use hockey tape to wrap the flag pole to the permapost.

invalid unparseable

Drill and tap a couple of holes thru the outer decorative cover into the inner pipe . Bolt a plate with spacers to the pipe . Attach your flag fixture to the plate with screws .

Reply to
Snag

Reply to
Thomas

I am not confident enough to drill into a round pipe I cannot see.

Reply to
Thomas

This product sounds similar ?

One of the Q & A is exactly your question.

Q:Is there solid material that will allow me to screw a flag holder to the flat section of the post?

A: No one answered this question, so I finally reached out to the manufacturer. They told me that any application other than a rail attachment would void the warranty. The constant back-and-forth of wind blowing a flag would torque the vinyl exterior and crack it, there is no wood backer inside the vinyl skin like other manufacturers, only a foam layer between the vinyl exterior wrap and the steel structural support core.

Snag's suggestion of lagging a mounting plate into the steel inner post might be ok - IF it wasn't a load bearing post ..

Some creative thinking might result in a better place to mount the flag pole - a dedicated beam ; part of a permanent bench ; a pole in the ground ; ...

John T.

Reply to
hubops

The hole for the spacer is going to be bigger than the hole for the bolt . Hopefully you can figure it out from there .

Reply to
Snag

If that load bearing member cannot handle a couple of 1/4 or 5/6 holes in a purely compression loading ,... it's way way under-engineered for the task .

Reply to
Snag

So the plate is on the outside of the post and there are spacers that exactly fill the distance from the surface of the post to the surface of the pipe? That seems hard to do, and there will be a lot of leverage from the weight of the flag and flag pole on the inner end of those spacers, which will be at least 1 1/2" long . (If it's a 2" pipe inside

5" post.)

Or the plate is inside the outer decorative cover??

Reply to
micky

I'm inclined to agree, but it might be enough to make a person search for a better place to mount the flag pole ... .. especially if they were considering wrapping some sort of strapping around the post .. uuuggh. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I wouldn't either.

More work than usual but you could build a square frame around the pillar, with 1x3's or 1x4's, not plywood, maybe stained like wood or painted a contrasting or matching color. Twe twisting force of the weight of the flagpole would be spread over the bottom edge of the nearby wood and the top edge of the rear piece.

Reply to
micky

Maybe light ratchet tie down straps would work for this. Look at the local hardware store for them. They come in colors and you could arrange them to look decent. Put one high as you can. That helps out with the leverage. I don't think they are terribly expensive and might need to be shortened to look better.

Reply to
Dean