Heisense refrigerator

New fridge works fine but it apparently has a variable speed compressor that runs slowly but almost continually. The noise is unnoticeable *except* when I'm trying to sleep at night. After six months I cannot get used to it.

Worst part is I am deaf at the high frequency end but apparently better than average at the low frequencies as my wife cannot hear it.

Unless someone here can think of a solution I'm going to just give this thing away and try to find one with the single speed compressor that will run for 15 minutes then stay quiet for four hours.

Reply to
philo

Maybe you have the temperature set too low so that the compressor is working continuously. Try to adjust the thermostat to a reasonable temperature so that the compressor can take a break.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Variable speed compressor is a different animal , unless it's defrosting, it's running even if temp is set higher.

Reply to
philo

Maybe it would help to put foam pads under the legs. I was thinking of the closed foam they use to make pads for under sleeping bags, for camping. If that's not enough, put the kitchen on foam pads.

Reply to
micky

Thanks for the great idea. Since putting pads there would require doing some work, I just remembered that when I'm trying to sleep at night...as soon as I think of the work I have to do the next day, I pass right out. So anytime I can't sleep,I'll just think of putting pads under it.

Reply to
philo

I think you solution is to pick one of these anti-vibration pads or sell your fridge:

invalid unparseable

I wear these every night and sleep very well. I don't hear the dog walking around the bedroom wanting us to get up, I don't hear the traffic outside our bedroom window, I don't hear my wife tossing and turning all night. They're a lot cheaper than a new refrigerator.

How close is your kitchen to the bedroom? Maybe closing the bedroom door would help.

Reply to
badgolferman

badgolferman

I wish I had a door in my kitchen to close.

Reply to
philo

It is not vibrating, it just keeps circulating. It seems to convection cool through the sides that stay warm.

I am pretty sure I will have to replace it with a conventional type and if I do sell it .make sure the buyer is 100% aware of the situation.

I'd consider giving it away free.

Reply to
philo

That sucks. It becomes an earworm .. I'd be trying all the sound deadening tricks in-the-book. Even moving the fridge out from the wall might help - sound can travel through the walls-ductwork-plumbing etc. In-the-middle-of-the-night I can hear my well pump running - - very very slightly - - it's in the concrete cold cellar under my front porch - I'm on the second floor. But plumbing and ventwork run from the utility room - next to the cold cellar -

- straight up to the second floor. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yep. I'm probably going to get rid of it. Now to find a no-frills conventional type. Anyone here have recommendations. My guess is that the sales people will just tell me anything to make the sale

Reply to
philo

Also realized the reason it's bothering me so much is because with the cooler weather, all the windows in the house are closed. The ambient outdoor noises covered up this constant drone

Reply to
philo

what size and price range/features? We are _very_ happy with our full size Midea #MRB 19B7AWW, bottom pull-out freezer [a].

It's an inverter model and _quiet_, plus energy efficient.

Pricing should be about a thousand dollars these days.

[a] once you've used a bottom freezer you'll never go back...

Reply to
danny burstein

All modern consumer-grade appliances are crap - ... flip a coin. We have an LG front load washer that I hate ; and a Maytag electric dryer that doesn't gather much lint in its lint filter .. I need to clear the outdoor dryer outlet every couple of months so that my house doesn't burn down ... We looked into commercial laundry units - - not just pricey - I could live with that - - but hard to order - for some reason .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

When I got here, the furnace air fan** bothered me when trying to sleep. It had a 3-speed fan adjustable by connecting one of 3 wires. I had the furnace diagram and it seemed to say it was on the slowest speed already, but I took the motor out and changed to each of the other two. I had to go back to the first one because it was the slowest. So I shut the door to the bedroom. I got used to the noise but it may have taken me 10 or 20 years. I wasn't paying attention. So I don't think this plan will work for you. (Now the bedroom door has been open all the time for 10 or 20 or 30 years.)

**My fan is probably noisier than many. It's a townhouse. There are ducts to each room but there is only one return, through a big louver at the 2nd floor top of the stairwell and a fairly big one right below it in the basement. And the furnace is right behind the louver in the basement, so the noise has a fairly straight shot to the stairwell where the louver is only about 8 feet from my bedroom.
Reply to
micky

When I googled for your fridge, by Heserse (spelled one vowel differently from the way you spelled it.) they called it variable freqency and there may be other terms that terms that will get you the same as what you've got now. So make sure you're not getting it again.

Reply to
micky

Yes, inverter was iiuc one of the terms for new design meaning it runs all the time. At the very least, the term came up several timess when I googled variable speed compressor Heisense

Maybe Philo will have to get a used one, or a cheap one, to get the old-style compressor.

Reply to
micky

not quite. an inverter model (in this type of environment) yes, allows for different levels of power, so instead of being FULL ON for 10 minutes then off for 30, it'll be at HALF for 15, then off for 20. Numbers will vary, of course. The key points are that there's NO "solid kerchunk" as it comes on, just a gentle ramp up. And the duty cycle is more civilized. (It still shuts down now and then).

Similarly, there's no Big Power Draw when starting, so no flickering lights....

Reply to
danny burstein

I have a Samsung. I often sit in the living room about two feet from it. My bedroom is not far either. I've never heard it run. I don't know if all models are like that. This is a French door.

Reply to
Ed P