Subject Author Posted Replies

OT. Cold? This Ain't Nuthin"
Coldest ever recorded temperatures in the continental U.S. <> As an arctic blast is set to bring bitterly cold temperatures to much of the U.S. through Christmas weekend, you might be wondering how...
6
6

What heats a person working in a cold winter garage better?
What heats a person in a garage better? $100 Costco Parabolic heater $100 Costco Ceramic Space heater An old friend of mine is cleaning up his tools and he has the cars out of the garage which is very...
41
41

California Earthquake
It might be colder than usual in Nebraska this week but at least my fake Christmas tree will light up. <> A little over 70,000 Californians lost power. A massive 6.4 earthquake rocked northern...
15
15

LED Rules
The administration is proposing rules to push people toward using LED vs. other methods of lighting. <><> Rule makers just have to interfere with people making their own decisions. Leaving us alone to...
12
12

Best wheels for a computer chair on carpet?
When I've pushed my computer chair back a bit (on shallow carpet), then try to roll it forwards, the wheels have a problem rotating (not the wheels themselves, but the mechanism by which they turn to...
36
36

What are the requirements for a device to be called "double insulated"?
I'm not a health and softy wimp, but I was just wondering.... I have a black and decker hand held saw here. It claims to be double insulated, and does not have an earth. But the blade (and hence a...
29
29

Any point to a USB3 camera, for home use?
IIUC there is no point to trying to find a USB *THREE* port for a mouse or keyboard, right? USB TWO is plenty. Because so little data is transmitted. What about a camera? I know it uses a lot more,...
2
2

Wired, outdoor PC cameras?
I wanted to get some waterproof/outdoor cameras that plugged into the PC, or maybe something that connected straight to the PC. But all I see for sale are cameras meant to clip to the monitor, not be...
87
87

Gorilla glue never lasts
I always make sure the glue is tightly sealed yet... Has anyone found a way to make gorilla glue last more than a couple of months before the stuff hardens or turns to a useless gel?
13
13

18 thin?
I have a heat pump in my apt. It never stops running. Everything is Electric, I have 18 thin. What is 18 thin?
11
11

OT. Mythbusters, Dimpled Car
Golf balls travel farther due to the dimpling on them. A Mythbusters rerun showed a car with dimpling on it. Dimpled cars get better mpg than smooth cars. 29 mpg dimpled, 26 mpg smooth. Ford Taurus....
5
5

Septic Systems
I'm new to septic systems. In July 2021, I purchased a mountain vacation home that uses a septic system. The 1,000 gallon septic tank was pumped as a requirement before sale. Since then, I've been...
45
45

Have you ever heard of a fat log, or a soap log?
Have you ever heard of a fat log, or a soap log? 20 or 30 years ago, drains were backing up for some of my n'bors and the plumber or someone came out, went into the manhole, cleaned it out and said we...
5
5

Toy Trains
This article discusses the hobby started by Joshua Lionel Cowen. He built a fan powered by dry cells then made a miniature train car. <> My brother and I had a little car race track but I don't...
22
22

OT: 4K TV Shows-- NOT
So I bought this brand new nice big-screen 4K UHD television set. But the only 4K TV content I've found is Fox's World Cup coverage. Cool. Too bad there's only maybe 137 people in the US who care...
5
5