2 hole in the wall questions

I've got two situations where I need help with holes in my walls.

In the laundry room, the rigid pipe dryer vent is going out through the garage wall, then venting outside. In the winter, the laundry room is ice cold. I've got insulation surrounding the pipe. Is there some sort of collar I could use to not only dress this up, but help with the air infiltration?

Along the same lines, I need to run a 3" pvc pipe through a wall in my utility room for a radon system. Is there anything I could use to dress up the entry point where the pipe is going through the wall? I hate the idea of a pipe sticking in a wall without some sort of collar around it.

Thank you for your time.

Reply to
Jack

Check the damper on the dryer outlet outside. Lint buildup could be blocking it open. I find it hard to believe that the dryer vent running to a garage would make the laundry room ice cold. It's likely you have other avenues of heat loss.

If you cut a neat hole you could just caulk it. If you don't, buy an escutcheon. A split-ring escutcheon can be put on after the pipe is installed, a standard one has to be put on at the time the pipe is installed.

RicodJour

Hi,

I had the exact same problem with cold air coming inside in the winter time...I installed a different vent seen here:

I didn't get that EXACT one but one built along that idea using the same concept..... I got mine from Home Depot and it has a styrofoam ball that seals the vent when the dryer is not in use... It totally took care of my cold laundry room ... I also had insulated around the pipe before installing this new vent,...basically all I did by insulating was prevent the cold air from warming up until it hit the dryer..then the cold air would leak out the dryer itself... Hope that helps... Jim

Reply to
Jim

If the wall is sheetrock you could just patch around your pipe , touch up the paint and run a bead of caulk around it..As far as dryer vents goes , I've never seen one that didn't let cold air in...Same for bathroom fan vents....Especially on high wind days....To bad there isn't a "legal" way to close it off when not in use...Or is there ????

Reply to
benick

Yep. If only someone could design a flap...

Reply to
HeyBub