Subject Author Posted Replies

Condensate leaking out of doorknob
My daughter just moved into a new home and both exterior doors are leaking condensate out on the cold side of the door. What can be done to stop this?
9
9

what is the differences between whole house surge protectors?
I want to put a whole house surge protector in my breaker box. It is a Siemens and I can use either a QSA2020 or a QSA2020TVSS. One is whole house secondary surge arrestor and one is a transient...
78
78

Electrical conduit coupling sticking out of the wall
I have a junction box on a wall where 3 parallel 1/2" rigid EMT conduits runs down to. For some reason the conduits all run to about 8" above the box, the electrician put in the EMT coupling and...
12
12

Increasing "downstream" work?
I have to rant. It seems like most of the tradesmen I talked to do not care about minimizing downstream headaches when doing their work. Example: I have a wall that is a 3/8" plaster on top of a 3/8"...
1
1

My drill seems to be losing power?
I have a Dewalt 12V cordless drill that I have been using and it has always worked fine for what I do. However, recently the battery pack is lasting shorter and shorter (I have two) and I think I...
21
21

Furring out a concrete wall by 2-1/2"
I have a 4" thick concrete block wall between my utility room and garage. Due to new plumbing (washing machine, laundry sink) and an adjacent half bath, I have two 2" PVC vent lines that runs up the...
6
6

Installing a new recessed light housing at locations I already have old housings
OK I have a tricky situation. I have to install quite a few recessed lights. Most of them I have accessed (ceiling down), some of them I do not. Of the ones I do not, some of them I need to drill...
6
6

Rust Destroyer, Ospho, or what?
Are any of so-called rust neutralizers effective at keeping rust at bay? Paint and hardware stores have suggested trying Rust Destroyer or Ospho to neutralize the rust. Another suggested Hammerite...
2
2

Ceiling Medalion
I just had a ceiling medalion installed. It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap. What is the best way to "snug" this up against the ceiling? Would super glue work? I thought about...
47
47

Safe to Paint a Light Fixture?
I have several recessed (canned lighting in my ceiling) light fixtures in my family room. The interior of this fixture (reflector shield) is black. They are not your normal 6" fixture, but instead...
12
12

WIndows site
Hello, I'm trying to create an informative site on research and information about home windows replacement. I know this Google group is a good source of people interested in the subject matter, so i...

gas oven thermostat replacement
I have a GE JGBS17PEA4WH gas range. I need to replace the thermostat. The thermostat is a WB20K10023 GE range / wall oven thermostat with a 43-inch long capillary tube. I can't figure out how to get...
2
2

Replacing Old Shower Handles
A neighbor asked me to look at her shower handles to see about replacing them. They are very basic chrome cross handles, hot, cold and center. Hard to say how old, I'm guess well over 20 years. I...
5
5

Craftsman Lawn Mower Overfilled With Oil
My one year old Craftsman mower was overfilled with oil (unbeknowst to me) a few days ago, was started, but never got as far as cutting any grass (lazy son, not the mower). I went out to cut the grass...
19
19

repairs on older home
I am a disabled 64 year old person who worked until 1992 and had a work injury. I paid taxees until a few years ago and lost my husband to cancer. There fore I do not make enough money to file. Is...
9
9