Winter Lawn Care

What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

Reply to
Guv Bob

Also, I have some bare patches. Anything I can do to seed these or, if not, prepare them for seeding in the spring?

Reply to
Guv Bob

grass grows when it's 40 C??? How do you achieve that. Ours dies around 28 C

Reply to
Hench

in the arid SW?

large source of pollution and a waste of $.

putting fertilizer on dry grass is pointless.

putting down fertilizer just to have to go through the process of watering repeatedly in such a climate is close to criminal IMO.

there are places where having a lawn is fine, but the SW isn't one of them.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Bob F wrote: ...

you're welcome. :)

no, probably fairly easy to keep a lawn green there all season.

i'd still not fertilize any lawn much at all. why make something that you have to cut grow faster?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

Yes, and if you think that's amazing, it's 50-70 during the day!

Reply to
Guv Bob

important of the

A belated thanks, Bob. Since first posting the question, it has not rained a drop, so watering about once every week or two is all I'm doing right now.

Reply to
Guv Bob