Getting Ready for Winter - Lawn

Is it better to leave your grass long, or short going into the winter? or does it really matter?

Reply to
Mbt6

Even under snow, the grass will continue to grow. Not very fast, but it still will grow. Get a warm, wet spell, like what's fairly common in zones

6-8, and you may even notice the growth. And you might not get a dry day to mow it in the middle of winter.

So generally keep it shorter than normal, otherwise by the time you start mowing in spring your mower won't go high enough to not cut more than 1/3 of the growth. Don't scalp it. But keeping it shorter than what's best in summer is better. (Of course, many people mow too short in the summer, so to them the advice to them would probably be to leave it at that height, and let it get taller next summer.)

Reply to
Warren

Depends! Where is Winter?

Las Vegas... (fescue) cut it long in Summer, short in Winter...I adjust the mower wheels for the cut..seasonally.

Oren

oren