rider deck question

I have a troy bilt pony rider, 2 years old. It did not come with deck wheels. Would I be well advised to get a set? Are there benefits to the wheels? It is also equiped with a port for a deck wash system. For hooking up hose and running blades and water to clean underside of deck. Would it be a good idea to get this adaptor? Would the excess water cause rusting? I do use a blower to remove grass and debris from the mower when I am finished though, u cant really do thew under side of the deck with that method!!!

Reply to
bigjcw1023

I have deck wheels on all my mowers and I've never tried to mow without them - but I have some rough spots and regularly mow over junk and brush hog. I don't hose but it sounds to me like you are doing great with your blower. The hose won't be "perfect" either.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Iusually dont clean under the deck. It has been wet grass the last two times though. I will take care of it when I winterize the beast!

Reply to
bigjcw1023

Did get the 2 pieces of hardware for the deck wash system for my Pony. Bought online from the parts source for Troybilt (buymtdonline.com). Used the parts manual for the 42" deck to get the numbers. One piece goes where that shiny brass bolt is in the deck shroud now. Its a quick disconnect fitting with a one-way check valve. The 2nd piece connects to that, its an adapter for the garden hose. I remove the 2nd piece when not cleaning the mower after use. I use the deck wash system over a mowed area. Usually leave the riding mower in the hot sun on the driveway for a few hours before putting it in the garage.

Candidly, I don't know what the long term benefits or detriments are. I do know a buttload of non-water stuff comes out of the discharge side when using the deck wash system. A maximum time of a minute is all that I've ever needed for using this cleaning method.

I use a garden hose to hose down the entire exterior of the Pony. Dig out any debris manually the hose can't move. My soil is generally dusty where domestic grasses are non-existent. As a result, the Pony is covered with a heavy layer of soily dust after mowing. So am I. Dave

Reply to
Dave