Riding Mower

Can anyone give me some feedback on a Troy-bilt riding mower? I am considering buying one and would like to know anything pros or cons.

Thanks.

Reply to
We Three Browns

Troy-Bilt tractors made by MTD, which is a big maker of low end tractors. MTD tractors are sold under a number of names - Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines, Huskee, White, etc. It's certainly not a "premium" tractor on the level of John Deere, Simplicity, etc.

Reply to
JJ

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
We Three Browns

I have a cheapie MTD 13.5hp riding mower, my hard is odd shaped, with lawn taking up about 40' by 60', and I've had my MTD for over 2 years now, it's never failed to start (with the exception if I dont keep the battery charged in the winter since I dont usually mow in the winter since my lawn sits pretty green but doesnt grow in the winter). The thing cost me like $750.00 at Lowes, and it's been strong since purchase.

I've had some Troybuilt products in the past, like my Horse Tiller, that never failed to start, never got a tuneup or oil change and lasted me easily

7 years until I sold it (just didnt need it anymore), also my Troybuilt lawn and yard vac/chipper is another quality product, been with me about 6 years, no tune ups, no oil changes, and works as strong today as it did when I bought it.

So overall my experience with Troybuilt products has been good, but I dont think I'd spend $2500.00 on a TB rider mower compared to a Lowes or Home Depot $650 to $800 rider.

Just my 2 centavos.

: > > Thanks. : > >

: > >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058

I bought a 15 horse Sears with hydrostatic drive over 10 years ago. B&S OHV engine. No oil filter. It's made by MTD and cost ~$1,000. Use it weekly during spring/summer/fall to do my 1/2 acre lot. The only service I do is a once a year oil change (synthetic oil) and cleaning out the air cleaner element annually. Oh yeah, batteries last about 2 years ($20 at Sam's). I sharpen the blades once or twice a year.

Never have had any problems. I could have spent 50% to 100% more for a big-name tractor, but it is inconceivable that it would have performed better than that inexpensive Sears/MTD has. People like to scoff at MTD stuff and call it junk. It is not junk. It is reliable, not too expensive, and way plenty good enough for home-owner use. People who insist that you need anything "better" for home-owner use simply don't know what they are talking about or have too much money they feel a need to waste.

Reply to
GRL

I've had a Sears 38", 12 hp tractor and mowing deck for 16 years. It has a Tecumseh engine. I have probably changed the oil 3 or 4 times and never bother to run it dry before it sits for the Winter months. The biggest problems have been getting the mowing deck even and high enough. One time the front link broke and had to be replaced. This was a problem because the replacement Sears sent was not an exact replacement. I had to drill out one seet of holes, but it worked in the end.

The number of mowers waiting for repairs is no indication of their quality. What percent of the number sold does number of mowers you saw represent? Sears sells an enormous number of mower and the ones you saw were probably a smaller percent than other brands!

Reply to
William Plummer

I agree! I have a 1989 MTD Tradesman 38. I use it to mow my 1/2 acre ( I live in Florida where I have to mow once a week for about 7 months)

I just replaced the 14 year old mower deck. I have friends that have replaced their Snapper and John Deere decks just as often.

Aside from a yearly oil/filter change, new belts every 5-7 years, and a carburetor rebuild I have had no major problems. For a relatively small yard it has been a great mower - I hope to keep it for another 14 years.

Reply to
Greg