Evergreen (or like) Vines, Zone 6, Suggestions?

I'm looking for suggestions on vines to use to cover a chain link fence section that is attached to a house.

I'd like the vine to be evergreen, or at least evergreen like staying green or keeping its foliage for the bulk of the year.

Since it's attached to the house I'd like to make sure the vine is not heavily invasive. I'll also be planting them into large, oversized pots in order to allow for moving and to ensure they do not spread.

So anyone have any suggestions? I'm even open to none vines if it will grow well in the area and be easy to keep under control.

Fence will be 4' high and be 20' x 30' x 20' roughly, just in case you're wondering about how much area there will be.. Though, not all needs covered. Most likely just the 30' run as the front 20' will be masked by other methods.

Thanks for any advice, Scott--

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Scott Hildenbrand wrote on 12 Sep

2007 in group alt.home.lawn.garden:

I like carolina jessamine, but it likes the sun. It's fairly slow growing, keeps leaves most of the year, and has loads of bright yellow blossoms. Here's a random link:

Steve

Steve wrote: > I like carolina jessamine, but it likes the sun. It's fairly slow

I've seen that and was keeping it to the side as a possible one. Has beautiful flowers on it.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Where are you, what's the soil type, what's the annual rainfall, what's the soil pH, how much sun or shade? Trust me, plants suitable for zone 6 in Missouri are probably not going to like zone 6 in the high desert.

Also, forget the potted vines idea... it'll be a major maintenance hassle with little return for your labors. Also, figure any container aboveground and unprotected will experience the equivalent of 1 to 1.5 zones colder in the winter...

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster