suggestions for electric heater for "airing cupboard"

Hi

We have an "airing cupboard" 40" high x 20" wide x 12" deep in a thick stone wall. When we bought the house it had an open filament heater contraption in it which was condemned by the general and electrical surveys as a fire hazard so we removed it and have temporarily blanked off the wiring.

We do however keep clothing in the cupboard and would like to put in a low wattage electric heater of some kind. Does anyone have any suggestions of any kind of heater (however obscure) which would be safe and suitable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Val

Reply to
Val

For just "airing clothing"? o Slotted-lat cupboard door - partly blocked off re just enough ventilation o Philips tube heater - 120W would probably be ample

Argos used to do them, failing that lots of electrical factors do them: o QVS, Newey & Eyre, CEF (City Electrical Factors) o TLC

may list them & do online

Wiring safety & not covering the heater still applies, and frankly a £4.99 smoke alarm on that floor is peanuts & should be done.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

We use a 60W tube heater in ours - a bit too hot to touch - but not enough to actually burn or discolour anything that falls on it. In a confined space like a cupboard it keeps the whole thing nice and warm. Fitted it about 8 years ago, been on ever since!

Reply to
John Rumm

I could think of a better way to spend 300 quid!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Jones

I would put a thermostat in there, if the tube heater does not have one to begin with.

Reply to
IMM

If you have gas or oil CH, pipe in a small radiator. Have it piped so that when the rads or hot water is running the radiator is on. Electric is 3 to

4 time more expensive than gas.

If not possible then use a electric small tube heater.

Reply to
IMM

Tubular heaters are designed for this sort of thing. 60 watts upwards, and start at about 15 quid. Best to fit a thermostat too. You can also get wire mesh guards for them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Err - actually my one does....

(you can get both with and without)