Type of loft insulation

Having no insulation in the loft of my bungalow I thought I might bite the bullet. It will mean putting vents in both gable ends, no problem there. However the problem is that being a bungalow all the electric wiring (muchly) tv cable, fire alarm cable and burglar alarm cable run through the loft. Some on top of the beams and some on the sides. Is there a suitable insulation material that will not damage the cables? It would be too big a job to rewire to accommodate insulation.

TIA

Reply to
Broadback

I wouldn't worry too much, especially if the socket wiring is under the floor and not in the loft. Lighting cable and all the low voltage cables are sufficiently overrated to be insulated. There may be issues with plasticiser leakage with PVC insulation with certain insulant types, but this is rarely serious and easily guarded against by ensuring the insulant doesn't actually contact the cable.

If the socket wiring is done by drop leads from the loft, you may need to calculate if it will still be sufficient when insulated.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Why?

I should just use rockwool, it is (just) nicer than glass fibre.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

and it is more fire resistant than fibreglass.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Sadly all the wiring goes into the loft, and I mean all.

Reply to
Broadback

How so. I would have thought them similar.

Resin bonded fibreglass (GRP) is another matter altogether and is highly inflammable unless you use special resin of course.

Reply to
G&M