Tubular Heater for Airing Cupboard

Hi,

I need a tubular heater for a new airing cupboard. The cupboard is approx 100cm (w) x 100cm (d) x 250cm (h). I see that standard tubular heaters come in 60w, 120w, 180w etc. What will I need to keep the airing cupboard nice and warm? Will 60w be enough?

Does anyone know where I can find a tubular heater with built-in thermostat? If I cant find one with built-in then I will get a plug-in type of thremostat to go with it.

Many thanks Marc.c

Reply to
Cokey

Hi Marc,

You could try this type of thing:

's impossible to say how powerful a heater you need, it depends on how well insulated the cupboard is (and how hot you want it). I'd go for a more powerful one and let the thermostat look after the temperature control.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

I would probably go for the 120W

You can use an ordinary room stat. Most will switch small loads like that without any difficulty.

Reply to
John Rumm

Have you looked at a small dehumidifier (like the £70 on in Sainsburys)?

You get heat out of them (175W input) and they dry the air.

The fan circulates the air too so they work much better than a tubular heater.

Reply to
dennis

On 9 Nov 2006 09:53:30 -0800 someone who may be "Cokey" wrote this:-

It would be better to fit a separate one, remote from the heater.

If you have a wet central heating system then a pipe coil may be a more economical way of heating the cupboard.

Reply to
David Hansen

Nice idea... what do they do with the water collected?

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for all the responses guys. Im ordering a 120w tubular heater and plug-in thermostat.

The idea about a pipe coil to heat the cupboard is great but unfortunately I don't think it would be adequate enough to keep the cupboard constantly warm (in my house at least), due to the central heating not actually being on enough, especially during the warmer times of year.

Marc.c

Reply to
Cokey

The message from "dennis@home" contains these words:

Aldi have some - can't remember how much but it about half that.

Reply to
Guy King

The one we have has a container that fills with an optional facility to drain via pipework if a suitable drain is nearby. The container on ours is quite small so if I we were using it in a fixed position I would probably sort a drain out.

H H
Reply to
HLAH

Could you fit a radiator with an electric element? You can then use the electric when the heating is off but still heat the cupboard without electricity when the heating is on.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On 10 Nov 2006 02:18:06 -0800 someone who may be "Cokey" wrote this:-

Obviously the pipe coil needs to be connected to the right place. This is likely to be either be the water heating circuit, or gravity circulation of the secondary water in the cylinder. It depends on the layout of your house. As with a towel rail, connecting it to the heating circuit has obvious disadvantages.

Reply to
David Hansen

We have a combi-boiler so no cylinder.

Reply to