Loud banging from airing cupboard and crunching sound from radiators

Hello all
I hope someone can help me with this problem as it is starting to really
annoy us.
I leave the heating turned on at the timer in the airing cupboard and
control the heating with the thermostat situated in the hall.
After the heating has been on for a few hours (this is not constant) at
approximately 20 Degrees C there is a very loud banging that sounds as if it
is coming from the airing cupboard.
There is also a kind of crunching sound that comes from the radiators even
though they are warm.
If I run the hot water tap for a few seconds then the banging will stop.
I have tried to bleed the radiators using the key but there is little or no
air in them.
Is there anyway to get rid of air in the system easily without having to get
a plumber in?
I had thought about draining down the system but do not really know how to
do this and also do not know if this would get rid of the air.
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Cowans
What type of boiler has your system got? It it a combi? Is there a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard? It it a sealed system (with a pressure guage)? What pressure is it showing?
We need more info...
Reply to
Alan
It sound as though the water in the system is boiling and trying to vent. Perhaps the boiler thermostat is not operating properly or the boiler temperature is set too high. The noise could perhaps also be a zone valve sticking or trying to open/close.
Reply to
Dave Baker
My heating system had symptoms like that - it seems that the plumber we had paid to (among other things) add anti-freeze to the system, had turned off the water to the expansion tank while doing the work, and had neglected to turn it back on when done. The tank was lidless - and about 18 months later, most of the water had evaporated. It was the middle of winter, my young daughter and I were alone, and it sounded like the system was about to explode!. After running the hot tap and turning off the heating, I checked the tank in the loft, saw it was empty, found the valve, which was carefully hidden by insulation, and turned it on. The tank now has a lid, and I called a different plumber the next time I needed work done....
Reply to
S Viemeister
Hello Alan
The boiler is a Maxol HomeWarm 600 (Combi).
Yes
Hope this helps.
Kevin

>> I hope someone can help me with this problem as it is starting to really >> annoy us. >> >> I leave the heating turned on at the timer in the airing cupboard and >> control the heating with the thermostat situated in the hall. >> >> After the heating has been on for a few hours (this is not constant) at >> approximately 20 Degrees C there is a very loud banging that sounds as if >> it is coming from the airing cupboard. >> >> There is also a kind of crunching sound that comes from the radiators >> even though they are warm. >> >> If I run the hot water tap for a few seconds then the banging will stop. >> >> I have tried to bleed the radiators using the key but there is little or >> no air in them. >> >> Is there anyway to get rid of air in the system easily without having to >> get a plumber in? >> >> I had thought about draining down the system but do not really know how >> to do this and also do not know if this would get rid of the air. >> >> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. >> >> Kevin >> > What type of boiler has your system got? It it a combi? > Is there a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard? > It it a sealed system (with a pressure guage)? What pressure is it > showing? > > We need more info... > > >
Reply to
Kevin Cowans
Hello
The boiler is not a Combi, sorry about that, do not know what I was thinking.
Thanks in advance
Kevin
> Hello Alan > >> What type of boiler has your system got? It it a combi? > > The boiler is a Maxol HomeWarm 600 (Combi). > >> Is there a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard? > > Yes > >> It it a sealed system (with a pressure guage)? What pressure is it >> showing? > > No > > Hope this helps. > > Kevin >
>>> I hope someone can help me with this problem as it is starting to really >>> annoy us. >>> >>> I leave the heating turned on at the timer in the airing cupboard and >>> control the heating with the thermostat situated in the hall. >>> >>> After the heating has been on for a few hours (this is not constant) at >>> approximately 20 Degrees C there is a very loud banging that sounds as >>> if it is coming from the airing cupboard. >>> >>> There is also a kind of crunching sound that comes from the radiators >>> even though they are warm. >>> >>> If I run the hot water tap for a few seconds then the banging will stop. >>> >>> I have tried to bleed the radiators using the key but there is little or >>> no air in them. >>> >>> Is there anyway to get rid of air in the system easily without having to >>> get a plumber in? >>> >>> I had thought about draining down the system but do not really know how >>> to do this and also do not know if this would get rid of the air. >>> >>> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. >>> >>> Kevin >>> >> What type of boiler has your system got? It it a combi? >> Is there a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard? >> It it a sealed system (with a pressure guage)? What pressure is it >> showing? >> >> We need more info... >> >> >>
Reply to
Kevin Cowans
Hello
Thanks for the reply.
I have checked the expansion tank and as far as I can tell everything is correct, however I am unable to locate a valve in the loft.
This problem has me confused, plus everytime we have British Gas come out the noise does not happen which does not make diagnosing the problem any easier.
Thanks in advance
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Cowans