Do finches eat the entire nijer seed or just the shell?

When finches eat nijer seed, do they (or, are they supposed to) eat the
entire seed, or do they somehow crack the seed open and discard the
outer shell?
Reply to
Bird Guy
I didn't ask IF finches can crack open seeds.
I asked if they normally eat nijer seeds whole, or do they split them open and discard the shell.
Reply to
Bird Guy
You're going to great lengths to give the impression that you're answering the question while not overextending yourself by giving a possibily incorrect (but specific) answer.
Reply to
Bird Guy
That's basically the reason why I was asking.
I'm wondering if the finches are just incredibly messy eaters, or are these really the shells from the nijer seeds...
Reply to
Bird Guy
Bird Guy wrote in :
I see Juncos and Doves feeding from the ground under the feeder so the finches apparently are dropping some. I suppose it's inevitable with such tiny seeds. I've also seen sock-type feeders where the mesh is a little too open and the seed falls out as the sock is jostled.
Reply to
Tony Mortadella

Site Timeline Threads