cutting 6 acres

OK here it goes...

I have 6 acres to cut. Right now I have a 30" cutting deck mower so I only do 2 acres...looking for an old tractor/brushhog combo for about $3500

any suggestions? I live near Dallas TX

Reply to
wf3h

on 6/17/2007 2:48 PM snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net said the following:

Google - used lawn equipment or - used farm equipment

Reply to
willshak

If its adequately fenced in, get some goats. Dave

Reply to
Dave

actually that's been suggested....gotta watch out for coyotes though....

Reply to
wf3h

Check for golf course mowers and start planning on building a putting green or two.

Reply to
ValveJob

Depends on what effort you want to put in and results you are trying to get. For the manicured lawn look (frequently mowed and kept relatively clean) I would find a used commercial grade Z-turn mower. If you just want to whack it down once a month or so, then a good used tractor and a brushcutter will do (buy the largest and most heavy duty rig that you can afford).

Voice of personal experience. I have 4 acres and I started out with a nice Kubota B1800 tractor and a 48" finish mower. My property is bordered on 3 sides by roads with the house sitting near the innermost corner (read pretty much ALL front yard) so I want the lawn look. Because of the gearing of the tractor and the 3pt mower adding to the overall turning radius along with numerous trees and other obstacles, 2nd gear was as fast as I could go with reasonably good results and cutting time averaged 9-10.5 hours. I picked up a 1 year old Husky ZTH5221 (21 horsepower 52" cut) for $3K and now it takes me less than an hour and a half to finish not to mention a cleaner cut and a lot less trimming to boot!

KW

Reply to
KW

ah, excellent advice...thanks much!