Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

anti-freeze protection
Got a big garden project I'm working on. Need to install a 1" pipe loop around a large area. Water will go in on one side. There will be water usage on the other side, some of the time Back toward the...
1
1

Garden Design
Hi. I wanted you to see my new Garden Design site and and say what do you think about him. Check it: This website is for sale! 7host05.com is your first and best source for all of the information...

Do finches eat the entire nijer seed or just the shell?
When finches eat nijer seed, do they (or, are they supposed to) eat the entire seed, or do they somehow crack the seed open and discard the outer shell?
10
10

review of pump HP
Need review of what horsepower does on pumps. I have a well, 29' below where the pump will be. It now has a 2hp Sta-Rite pump on it. I'd like to put a 1.5hp Sta-Rite on it, because of economics. Does...
4
4

Churned up lawn by 'mad' dog?
Hello, I have a malamute dog (like a husky but bigger). Despite plenty of excercise he pelts round the garden like a nutter and has churned up what was once a nice green smooth lawn. I am tempted to...
4
4

Wicked Plants
NPR - 2009's Crop of Great Gardening Books ("Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities" by Amy Stewart ( "Consider yourself warned," writes Amy Stewart....
2
2

Renovating lawn without chemicals
Hi -- I'm a horticulturist in the United States, and I'm interested in converting my lawn to a type of turf that requires less mowing (a mixture of fine and hard fescues). The usual method to...
19
19

Sprinkler line winterizing...
Tired of paying to have the sprinkler lines blown out every winter, but I also don't want to have to replace lines and sprinkler heads in the spring :-) I am wondering if I could buy one of those 150...
10
10

Snow chains
Is there a trick on putting snow chains on a lawn tractor used for blowing snow? I have put them on and go about 5-10 feet before the start coming off the side of the tire. I tried to deflate the...
1
1

Tips for selecting landscape plants??
Vegetable garden can provide us a great chances to grow pepper plants. Regular watering and fertilizing will play a vital role while gowning these plants.
1
1

Repair on John Deere LA125
How can I replace the spur gear on the bottom of the steering shaft of my lawn tractor. I've got the shaft apart except for the two bushings that carry the shaft through the horizontal plate that...
5
5

Questions About Blue Rose
This may give you a little more meat on the bone or grass on the lawn! 1. Q: How should I water my lawn? A: 2. Q: When should I cut my grass? A: 3. How do I level a bumpy lawn? A: 4. Q: When do I...
1
1

sods not rooting
put down a new lawn from sod about a month ago and it all seems to be doing what it should, and most of the sod has rooted nicely to the (all new) topsoil below. There are though two small areas where...
1
1

Which Electric Scarifier?
Hi, I want to buy my brother an electric scarifier. Would prefer a rear collection box (so that he can use it without it). Large(ish) flat lawn. I've seen a number online such as Draper, Bosch,...
1
1

Bypass or anvil lopper?
Anvil lopper or bypass lopper - why would you pick one over the other? Thanks
3
3