Sting Team exposes a/c Techs ripping off consumers .

SBA

has free classes in those subjects as well as a SCORE program (also free as it uses volunteers). I've been doing those for years and am no longer surprised at the number of otherwise intelligent people who have no clue about standard best practices for running a business.

Reply to
NotMe

Ummm? I feel totally crushed as none of those fairies seem to bless me. Like Steve, I have to dig deep to keep the proverbial Wolf from the door. If you civilians want to cut the costs of getting our services...then is is time that you had a long violent talk with your government that is blasting costs into the stratosphere. Does anyone remember how few years ago cooling gases sold for about 98 cents a lb. We should have Al Gores picture on every AC in America.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

I just tell them that this is the discounted price. Just compare it to Mikey's over in Indiana. ;-p

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

How the Hell would Mikey know? After all he was just one of their foot soldiers.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

You bring up an interesting point. I too recently changed the O2 sensor in my van (PMI - it needed changing).

In the end the PMI didn't work. Took a lot of time and effort in diagnostics but it eventually came to light (not documented anywhere officially) but the vehicle manufacture changed the 02 sensor specification is mid production.

I was able to find this by a process of substitution due to the availability of similar vehicles, one on one side of the change and the other on the other side of the change.

Then and *only* them was I able to pin down the manufacture to 'admit' to the change. (Didn't hurt that the state's vehicle inspection folk took a

*very* special interest in the failure to document/announce the change)

I've been out of the A/C business for decades (I gave away all my A/C related tools) but would expect that there are a number of similar circumstances where the on the ground service troop does not have and cannot gain access to mission critical information.

Reply to
NotMe

If the board contains a 'computer program' it's very likely under copyright and they will play hell with the OEM claims.

Back when we were overhauling electronic distributors for several Japanese cars. Received a letter from their corp. attorneys about the abuse of copyright as we were replacing the processor/memory elements and had to clone the original program.

They offered to sell us a replacement part (at 3X the cost of a new unit) if we wanted to continue the overhauls.

Our attorney said we could win the case but 10 years down the road which was after the legal fees would have put the entire process in bankruptcy.

Found out later that someone had shipped the how to information on the entire process to the Chinese in an envelope with no return address.

Reply to
NotMe

I got 2 coupons in the mail this week and I thought of this thread. They are from HVAC companies ("in business since 1985") that wish to do a "cleaning and annual tune-up" for about $60. I have 2 questions:

1) If you clean the condensor, what is left to tune-up on a properly functioning unit? 2) How can they afford to do this? Economies of scale? Are they trained to find something that needs fixing? : ) What would they be most likely to find? A capacitor on it's last leg??? ;)

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Cheap price to get their foot in the door, then its Katie bar the door.

Reply to
Steve
1) if it's properly functioning, nothing. Actually, if it's properly functioning, it doesn't need cleaning. 2) I'd be suspicious that they make their money on finding things wrong, or making things wrong.

.

1) If you clean the condensor, what is left to tune-up on a properly functioning unit?

2) How can they afford to do this? Economies of scale? Are they trained to find something that needs fixing? : ) What would they be most likely to find? A capacitor on it's last leg??? ;)

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The point is to train apprentices and to make the customer familiar with your services. It is a good gimmick to enhance your advertising dollar with just a bit of cash payback. It also gives you the opportunity to do reconnaissance on aging equipment and to give you first shot at giving bids. A Magnetic card stuck to equipment will remind folks to call you when repairs etc are needed. Do keep in mind that it is rude to remove the cards of others.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Interesting here in new Jersey you are not permitted to be in bay where repair is taking place.

Reply to
Grumpy

Interesting. Gotta protect the guild! I wonder if they get more work in NJ? : )

Reply to
Bill

I personally don't mind the customer watching..From a safe distance so as not to interfere with normal work. However for the person that hangs on your shoulder and makes an ass out itself...I make damned sure that person gets as dirty as myself from the work site. Also the Bill reflects the increase in time to complete the job. Some dipsticks actually think that the Bill decreases while they are supposedly helping out. Never overcharge and never undercharge! Fair pay for fair work.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Most liability insurance for car repairers require customers at a safe distance. That is in all states. Car repair shops garner more overcharge complaints then any other service industry. Not sure if that is warranted or just more folks are upset about expensive car repairs to begin with. In these days of legal extortion, one must run a very tight business protocol.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

If a tech I don't know minds me watching them work on my equiptment, I will have to excuse them from the premises. I have my own safety gear.

However for the person that hangs

For instance?

I make damned sure that

Helping out a little is one way of showing you some respect. Maybe payday is the only thing that will made you glad you came?

Never overcharge and never undercharge! Fair pay for fair work.

Reply to
Bill

You're aware of course that Sears was caught up in this (performing unnecessary repairs) in a very big way. If it could happen at that scope, it could happen anywhere...