Sting Team exposes a/c Techs ripping off consumers .

The tech along with a whole lot of other folks need to take some business courses to understand the *TRUE* cost of running a business.... unless your doing it for a hobby, and not doing it for a living.

Reply to
Steve

I am planning to let them change out my existing unit to match it up with the new inside unit but I will wait for cooler weather before I do that. Yes, these guys are good people. The last contractor I worked for on Residential charged a $75 service call. The Capacitor would be about the same.

Reply to
John Rhosos

I have a acquaintance who's an American Standard dealer who does good work and charges $100.00 an hour. I do more commercial work since my friend GB passed away last year. He knew a lot of folks and got calls from all over for residential work. We were charging $65/hr for a service call and $50/hr per man on the job. It was just a two man operation with part timers for help so we were able to charge less than the bigger operations with much higher overhead and capital expenditures. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Oh more training, the cost of which should be passed on to the constomer, just so they can understand why they should raise their prices? TYVM! ; ) I'm willing to pay for the thread to mend the pockets of those like yourself who seems to be losing money somehow! How many feet long is your boat?

Reply to
Bill

ok smart guy, how much would your union shop have charged for the service call and capacitor?? and the labor to install it??

Reply to
Steve

Your still clueless... its no wonder you couldn't make it on your own and had to work for a union shop to stay employed.

Reply to
Steve

Sorry sport, no expensive toys here, and very few inexpensive ones.

The base overhead for my company, is close to $60,000 per year before salaries and taxes .... and yes the truck is paid for. $20,000 of that is advertising, $10,000 of that is phones, cellular, and cable(broadband and weather channel)... thats half of the cost of running my company... I could give you the complete list with all of the costs and expenses, but you get the idea. The customer pays for *EVERYTHING*. There is a lot more to running a legitimate HVAC company than just a can or refrigerant, gauge manifold and reciept book, and it all costs money, and like it or not, the customer pays for all of it.

Reply to
Steve

The great majority of folks just don't grok those simple little facts do they? I suppose the Parts Fairy delivers parts and Pixie Dust for fixing everything? I'm fond of the Gasoline Fairy myself, without her I would be unable to get around. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

People often ask me for discounts. I try to politely explain that the gas station, rent, grocery store, etc. don't give me discounts to pass along.

.

The great majority of folks just don't grok those simple little facts do they? I suppose the Parts Fairy delivers parts and Pixie Dust for fixing everything? I'm fond of the Gasoline Fairy myself, without her I would be unable to get around. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Forgot to mention that if I had a store front, my overhead would be an additional $60,000 - $70,000 per year higher than what it is now.

Reply to
Steve

I ALWAYS get a "discount" when I buy a used car; I got a 25% price-cut on my recent tree services in the same manner. Since little is being written down, except a final price, alot seems open to negotiation. I took my car to a dealership yesterday, and they "broke down" the work done and the pricing into more than 9 details. As much as I hate having work done at the dealerships, I have learned to be more more watchful rgarding the AC-repairman. From reading here, I have learned a little about how to protect myself (I won't leave their side!)

Reply to
Bill

I encourage my customers to ask questions, and get informed about the single most expen$ive appliance in their home, however..... my prices are non negotiable. The price in my book is the price they pay, and no, I do not break down my pricing... peroid.

OTOH, I don't have a problem with firing a customer that expects me to provide my services for free, and be married to that system forever for free. That ain't gonna happen. I will however, give him a referal number for the cheapest, low rent, unlicensed hack that I know.

Reply to
Steve

I've found that if you're always honest with them, not dismissive of their questions and try to explain the workings of their system in simple enough terms for them to understand, a customer will really appreciate you. I give them a lot of simple advice like "turn off your AC/heat pump while mowing the lawn near the outside unit". It's amazing how many folks never considered something so simple. Of course since my friend GB passed away, I rarely work on residential systems. Commercial maintenance and repair keeps me worn out. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's your privilege. I told my last tech who would not budge or reveal prices on my AC fan job, just like you, that I'd try to do the job myself (and I did do it). I have noticed that many contractors who give estimates vary them depending on how busy they are or their schedule. I think that is another reason that it makes sense to get more than one estimate. One estimate I got to take down my tree recently was more than twice as much as the other two. Many AC-techs like to take days off too I suppose.

Reply to
Bill

I think you are correct TDD. And I love learning new useful things!

What is reason for turning off the AC/heat pump before mowing near the condensor unit? To avoid getting more dust into the system?

It's

Reply to
Bill

Correct, there is a great deal of air flowing through the fins of the outdoor unit and the fin spacing on newer higher efficiency units is much closer than the old systems. The dust and grass clippings from lawn maintenance can quickly clog up a running condensing unit. I always recommend a professional cleaning at least once a year for an AC unit and twice a year for a heat pump at the start of the seasons. Thick coated shedding dogs love to lay about condensing units and I tell customers to keep the dogs away, the male dogs also have a natural tendency to pee on various things and urine will damage the aluminum fins of an air conditioning unit. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm not TDD, nor do I play one on TV. But, I can tell you from my expeerience that the major killer of outdoor units is dust in the system.

Lawnmower: (n) a device designed to blow dust up from the ground. (v) a person who blows dust up from the ground.

.

I think you are correct TDD. And I love learning new useful things!

What is reason for turning off the AC/heat pump before mowing near the condensor unit? To avoid getting more dust into the system?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On the radio last night, one of the callers was antique car guy. He says they despise seeing dogs at car shows, who tend to lift a leg and spray corrosive fluids on tires, hub caps, etc. He's in favor of prohibiting dogs from attending car shows.

.

Thick coated shedding dogs love to lay about condensing units and I tell customers to keep the dogs away, the male dogs also have a natural tendency to pee on various things and urine will damage the aluminum fins of an air conditioning unit. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Eggsactly. Take a little time to explain things. The relationship between you and the client should be one of mutual benefit and feel that way to the client.

In the 60's I'd rebuild cars and motorcycles. Nothing is more irritating to me today than taking my truck in for service or repair and having to deal with a "service sales person." This is someone who knows very little about vehicles and is just there so the customer isn't wasting the time of the technicians; but that doesn't stop them from coming up with theories (to sound knowledgeable themselves and instill confidence) as to what is causing the problem, and trying to sell the "diagnostic fee." (along with oil change, air filter, etc..) (Dodge Dealership)

I get tired of this and take the truck to the tire repair place down the street. (they do more than tires) I tell him I suspect the sensor and why, tell him the voltmeter readings I'm getting, and he agrees it is the sensor. $100 covers the labor and sensor and I'm back in business.

Reply to
default

It must be a great source of amusement to talk to them? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas