I've always been in the habit of feeling the larger, cold fitting when walking by the back yard unit to check the coldness. Nice and cold until a few days ago. It then was only somewhat cool and had a little oily substance on the cold fitting. I turned off the A/C right away until I can get it checked. From what I gathered lurking here, a tech needs to at least evacuate the entire system, ensure there are no leaks, and recharge with brand new freon. I have some questions...
1) Generally, how much should I expect to spend if that’s all that is needed? It’s a long run from the back yard compressor to the attic furnace system towards the front of the two story house.
2) How do I find a reputable company with competent technicians?
3) Any other periodic maintenance that should be done?
4) From day one, the lines in the outside wall by the back yard unit have occasionally produce a pressure-relief-like swishing sound that lasts for about 20 seconds. Is that bad?
5) Are service rates seasonal? Higher rates in the summer?
Thanks to the group.