relay fan

Last week the air condition for our house was not working. The unit outside of the house was still running, but no air came into rooms from the vents. I called a company, and it sent a technician the next day. He opened a large metal box in our garage, and tested the connections with a gauge, a box with two metal sticks for touching the connections and a needle in the box moving back and forth behind a screen.

Then he pulled some plugs off a small board, removed the board form its seating, placed a new one, and put all plugs back to it. Air started coming in again. He did the whole thing within 10 minutes. We were charged $230, labor included. I didn't save the old board. He took it. Today I called the company, and was told that name of the part was 'relay fan'. But what the technician removed did not look like a fan.

I don't know air conditioning at all, just like to learn what a relay fan is, and is it really that expensive?

Thanks for information.

hxy

Reply to
hxy

Would you feel better or worse if he charged you $30? Would you feel better or worse if he charged you $430?

From your descriptions it would probably take a year or more to teach you what a fan relay looks like and does. You have A/C and you didnt have to buy a new system. Be happy. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Its a 'fan relay' not a 'fan'.

Reply to
<kjpro

That morning I visited my doctor for 15 minutes. The total charge was $89, of which my copay was $15. That afternoon, an air condition person came for another 15 minutes. I paid $230 for it. Air condition people make more than doctors and lawyers. And they have no big loans to pay back for going to school. Good career.

Reply to
hxy

$15 dollars to the doctor... You drove to their office and insurance paid the rest.

$230 dollars to the air conditioning repairman... Repairman drove to your home, diagnosed your shit and repaired it with a part. Has training and tools to do their job just like your doctor.

Issue with cooling equipment resolved... Did the doctor resolve your medical issue?

BTW, without HVAC/R people, your doctor wouldn&#39;t be able to keep your medications cold. Now who needs who?

Reply to
<kjpro

Jesus some people aren&#39;t just "f" in happy. He&#39;d probably complain if you hung him with a new rope!

Reply to
Zyp

Very well said. That smuck would have sweat his nuts off too in a hot doctors office if not for those wonderous A/C guys. Oh, and it appears the smuck is too dumb to know that his visit cost more than $15. What the hell does he think that deduction is that comes out of his check every week that says, "medical?" Poor dumb bastard. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

That&#39;s why I gave up medicine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon (on backup com

Yep, it must suck to walk around &#39;day after day&#39; in total confusion.

Reply to
<kjpro

Hmmm, To me you sound like a POOR troller! D for an effort.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Without doctors, the poor air guy would have never showed up. They have died of illness in childhood. Or they might have never come to the world, as their moms would have died when delivering them without doctor&#39;s help. Air conditioning is the worse profession. All they know is to steal from innocent people with their little simple skills. Auto repair industry has been watched by the government for deceiving customers. Cheating is more prevalent in the air conditioning industry.

Reply to
hxy

Medical doctor&#39;s behaviors are closely monitored by insurance and government. Air condition people are not being watched by anyone. Everything is in their own month. After the repairing, that guy left an invoice, saying he worked for 50 minutes. In fact it took him no more than 15 minutes. You guys know better than others. How much does such a small board cost? $20? $30? The company must have paid bulk price which is cheaper.

Dishonesty must be encouraged by the management in whole air conditioning industry. Individual technicians can make more money by stealing more from customers. People tend to panic when their air conditioning stops working, especially when there are kids in the house. This is the opportunity for the air conditioning people to take advantage of people&#39;s emergency situations. This is same as the auto repair industry. What&#39;s a greedy and dirty profession.

Reply to
hxy

what were you, a HOLE istic doctor? ashhole! LOL

"Stormin Mormon (on backup computer)" wrote in message news:470d8b31$0$20608$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Reply to
DIMwit

Grooooooaaaaannnnnnnn!!!!!!! were you any better at that than you are at this ?

"Storm>That&#39;s why I gave up medicine.

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

He only spent 15 minutes? Hmmm, I wonder if he just snapped his fingers and he and his stocked truck magically appeared? You pay for travel whether its a separate line item or built into the price of the part/service. Gee, you travel to the doctor and then you sit in their office and wait. Then you wait in the exam room. How much is your time worth? You are doing nothing more than showing your stupidity. So did you actually think you were going to pay $30 for that $30 board? Panic? Sounds like what you did at some time. I guess you are one of those that spent $100 to pay for a tech to replace a dirty filter because you were too stupid to know how to do it yourself. Panic is your own problem. Your A/C quits, you go buy a couple $99 window units and sleep in comfort while you think it over. When the decision is made you toss the A/C&#39;s in the can or give/sell them to someone that needs them. Go fuque yourself "huang". You&#39;re too stupid for anyone&#39;s time but Stormy&#39;s. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

If its so simple, why did you call in a repair to begin with? It must really suck to be so clueless.

I suppose you think a Doctor delievered Adam and Eve? LOL

Reply to
<kjpro

Once again you&#39;re showing your ignorance. Did he not travel to and from your home? Is that not billable time? I guess he must have arrived on the job via e-mail. The company may or may not have purchased the relay control in bulk. But it really doesn&#39;t matter, because you paid fair market value for *one* item. The extra money *they* make on purchasing in bulk also has to cover inventory costs.

If its so great, purchase a truck, tools, insurance, etc and get busy. Otherwise, keep your simple little job and keep complaining.

Reply to
<kjpro

[Air conditioning is the worse profession]

That&#39;s right, and you&#39;re the worlds greatest at spelling!

I take offence to you calling me a thief! You sir are an ass! I take pride in my work. I&#39;ve learned my trade and paid the price. [College for six years] and factory training for another 2. I have just as much right to earn a living and get paid for what I know and do. For you to call me a thief is down right attrotious. I can honestly say that I&#39;ll forget more than you will ever know asshole.

Reply to
Zyp

So what&#39;s your profession? It sure isn&#39;t English!

Reply to
Zyp

Just consider the source...

Pull material from a septic tank and it likely to be shit.

Reply to
<kjpro