Is my A/C capacitor dying??

My a/c appears to be dying. When the thermostat turns on, the system does not always crank up immediately - sometimes not at all.. Last night it was dead so I left the breakers off overnight and when I went to turn them on this morning the system worked fine and brought the temperature down to the thermostat setting. Then once it turned off and the temperature started to rise it would not turn on again.

I replaced the thermostat batteries, and even replaced the thermostat itself.....no luck. Perhaps the capacitor is going bad...what do you think? The inside unit is 3 years old and the outside unit is somewhat older. Right now we are strapped for cash to get a pro come and take a look so I am hoping I could do something myself. Any ideas ?- could it be the capacitor ?....how can I test it.? I have a multimeter and some electronics knowledge. Thanks

Reply to
royalmp2001

Extremely interesting yet always the same. The A/C doesnt work so you replace the batteries.........then the stat? That doesnt work so you pick on the capacitor? Im thinking your refrigerant is worn out and needs to be replenished. If that doesnt work, replace the stat again. You probably just got a bad one. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

No definitely not capacitor check your Tst. and other wiring. Dido

Reply to
AKS

Can someone please lend me the decoding machine so I can figure out what he just said? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

It could be low on gas. Have tried applying the choke before cranking it up?

Maybe the battery is bad. Down there in Miami, they only last about three years.

There you go.... It's the battery.

No cash, so, you went out and bought a thermostat? Wait.... It probably is the thermostat. When you put the new thermostat in, did you get one that runs the same protocol? You know, Goodman runs I2C, Lennox runs SPI, Carrier, and Trane run MODBUS.

I have lot's of ideas. If you think it's the capacitor, go on out and buy one. I know.... The parts store won't take it back when you find out it's not that like Lowes, or the Depot took the stat back. There's alot of things it might be. If you don't F the unit up too bad, one of the items on the long list of what "could" be bad might even still be under warranty. Remember that while you're playing.

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

What do I think? You are strapped for cash? Just do what I did, spend the next two days in Reno.

Reply to
Al Moran

You mean you lost your minion decoder ring?

Reply to
Al Moran

I have electronics knowledge, but I don't work on my own TV.... or my own computer. I know when to call a pro. I guess thats beyond your comprehension. The cost of the service call will probably be about the same as what you paid for the t-stat, batteries, the trip to the big box store, your time, etc.

Reply to
Noon-Air

There's a wide assortment of things that can go wrong go wrong go wrong. Time to call a service tech. There are some troubleshooting web sites, but it sounds like you need an experinced service guy. Or gal.

I've found that poorly serviced AC systems use a lot more electric. So, a good service (including wet cleaning the outdoor unit) may save it's own cost in electric savings.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So now you're pissing on the outdoor units to clean them? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Can you post some specific examples to back up your assertions?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

He's got to fire up the search engine first.

Reply to
Al Moran

You have no dispute with me here it does not matter what type of machinery is, poorly maintain will absorb more energy to run Dido

Reply to
AKS

Mr. Dildo, please post some objective references to support your assertion here.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Mr. Ozar I will assumed by asking that question you want to be put in the same folder with Al Moran and some others Dido

Reply to
AKS

"AKS" wrote

Misser Dildo, yuu haf ta unnerstan that unlesss yoo cun spull simpul werds, no budy wull tayk yoo sereeuslee. annd unlesss yoo ken bak up yer staytmunts, yoo jest loowk stoopud. Bob saz thiss

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

"AKS" wrote

Misser Dildow, yoos the won in a speshul folder all bye yerself

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Bob_Loblaw posted for all of us...

Good one! Tekkie don't give a fack.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Bob, that's "buy" yerself. Can't you misspell anything right?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:UBMWg.7395$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

We can only hope that Dildo's idiocy isn't contagious through osmosis...

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw