Gasohol

And if Oh Bomb Us gets his way, he wants to end any off shore drilling and stop Utah exploration for oil. All will raise the cost of fuel.

Reply to
Zyp

Don, you sure about that on Buick? Only one I know of from that era was the Olds JetFire. It was a hopped up F- 85 with an aluminun engine 215 cu in as I recall, and a turbo. They had a water/alcohol injector to try(rather unsuccessfully as I recall) to keep them from self- destructing. The whole thing was only offered for a year or two around

62-63. Larry
Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

Actually the efficiency ratio is predicated to changing 100% of the fuels BTUH to 100% work. Horsepower actually can be a waste if it is more then you need to economically transport mass at the most efficient speed. A high horsepower engine running at high speed is absolutely not efficient. One of the most efficient Engines was the Sterling Engine. Chrysler tried to produce a Gas turbine in 1962-63 that supposedly was fuel efficient. it was actually worse then a standard internal combustion engine, Was an expensive maintenance nightmare and was expensive to produce. Chrysler pulled them off the streets In 1965? and shredded every one of them. They didn't even save one for the Museum. As for emmissions..They cannot be avoided as much of that is created by additives that don't totally burn. Its the old adage of energy cannot be destroyed only changed in form.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Supposedly the water injectors helped the burn, thus keeping the valves cooler and keeping the aluminum heads from rejecting the cobalt valve seats. And no, I am not sure about that. In those days I drove Power Iron and only read about the others. A friend of mine bought a New Olds Starfire and had it supercharged.. A couple of Texas HP run him down near Stamford Texas, and fined the shit out of him. They were driving Ford Pursuits. I gave him so much shit, he bought a big Hemi-Superbee. ;-p The water injectors were in the Buick Wildcat. It actually had a water resevior in the center counsel of the passenger compartment. I don't remember any Turbo's in the early 60's.

Reply to
Don Ocean

The hotter it gets, the better the mileage...until you turn the AC on. ;-p But also you lose more fuel to evaporation and fuel expansion won't let you get as musch real fuel in the tank.

I hope that this recession stuff doesn't hit here. Damned phone just keeps ringing with dead or wants for furnaces, fancy thermostats, and energy audits. I guess the Insulators and window/Door people are busy also. I bet even Geothermal Jones is moving lots of product right now. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

Not too many places to run the engine wide open, let alone run wide open all the time.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Corvair

Reply to
Noon-Air

Just like the Jimmy Carter years all over again. anyone old enough to remember the odd even licencse plate thing for gas rationing?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Years ago, I read that the water spray into the carb. The water droplets are supposed to vaporize in the cylinder, account of the heat. This additional expanding water to vapor (1 to 1800 ratio, liquid to vapor) helps push you down the road.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lessee now. Odd-Even rationing was back in 1973.

I guess that Georgia Governor's office has a lot more clout than we thought.

(and actually, odd-even did help quite a bit, since a good deal of the problem was the circularly reinforced hysteria whenever people saw a gas line.).

Reply to
danny burstein

yeah, me and Tony

Reply to
Fartikus

As a matter of fact, I had to wait in the damn lines

Reply to
Steve

Agreed.

Reply to
Don Ocean

You are correct.. The Corvair Monza. Left a nice trail of oil to follow though.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Not me. I was living in the east side of the state and worked in the West side. I either used Av gas and flew, or Drove and picked up fuel at the Ranches. We didn't have even, odd here. they just closed the stations when out of gas and all stations closed at 4:00 PM and the poor tourists were stuck where ever they ran low on gas until the next day. Truckers didn't seem to have much of a problem if they filled before

4:00 PM. Due to the farm economy..The fuel kept flowing here most of the time. I could make that 400 mile drive in 5 to 6 hours. Our interstates were perfecto in those days.
Reply to
Don Ocean

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:31:42 -0600, Don Ocean wrote: snip

Turn off the phone if you dont want the work.... :)

Reply to
ftwhd

Someone female has my back.. Touch that phone and I could get hurt. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean