Gasohol

Stormy:

It is a lousy fuel. It takes more energy to produce then it will expend. It costs the taxpayer 55 cents a mixed gallon and it still can't compete. The farmers love it. They pay $10,000 per share for the company and usually buy several shares. This ownership gives them a guarantee of a locked in high price for their corn and other alcohol producing crops. This in turn has caused the companies to declare bankruptcies in a down market that we are now in. The largest 2 producers along with about 9 smaller producers are here in South Dakota. The farmers are having another Bumper crop year, but require higher prices as the fuel costs and petroleum based fertilizers, insect sprays, etc have taken a helluva a toll. A friend of mine borrowed over $800,000 in a production loan this year. That is getting real common. many have borrowed several $million to install windfarms. One super windmill costs about $1.8 million and is projected to recover its investment plus profit in 7 years. I believe Hell will freeze over first.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Don, I have to disagree on the gasohol... as far as being a lousy fuel... My own experiences have proven to me that ita a lot better than just straight gasoline. Not only in better performance, and better fuel economy, but its that much less dependence on fossil fuels and its more environmentally friendly.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I presume you kept track of fuel usage, miles, mileage, and so on? I was astounded when I calculated it out, and found the drop in mileage. And that's just with 10% ethanol.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As a matter of fact, I did, and the 275 engine horsepower was from the dyno with all of the factory smog equipment removed. The emissions were negligable... they barely registered on the machine.

The stock engine only put out 105hp, only got 18 - 20mpg(maybe) on the interstate, and barely passed the emissions test.

Reply to
Steve

Noon-Air posted for all of us...

Steve, I have to disagree with you on performance & economy. In PA we can sometimes buy fuel with MTBE in it instead of ethanol. Both go up. From what I have read ethanol is known for this.

Reply to
Tekkie®

E85 that the state vehicles use produces about 14 mpg. Standard 10 percent drops my little van from 21 to 19 mpg. Yes it is more environmentally friendly and it does not leave residue in your cylinders or fuel injectors. The major residue left by real gasoline is the additives. In the winter gasoline there is a lot more additives that leave residue in the engine, tank and fuel system. Also while gasoline sours rather quickly.. It does not sour as fast with an alcohol mix in it. I state again, that it should not be subsidized by the taxpayer.

We also have 27% gasohol that the newer flex fuel cars can burn. But most that have them around here will only use 10% gasohol. I don't know why..I guess I will have to ask. Soy diesel has been a dismal failure. The truck companies that used it for a while have totally condemned it as not viable for the long haul trade. All farmers and Ranchers I know refuse to use it. Many of our lads have ranches and farms that are a bit remote and can be inaccessible in winter. Thus they do a lot of their own repair work. I use 10% in my small engines, Snowblowers, Lawn mowers, generators, etc. Gasohol has a higher octane ratio as the alcohol has a higher ignition temperature and a much lower BTU(energy) rate then straight gasoline. Thus by the laws of physics, Alcohol produces less energy then gasoline.

Reply to
Don Ocean

What are you smoking? From 105 HP to 275 HP.. The only way that corn can do that is if the driver drinks that alcohol product derived from it.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Pay attention Don, I never said the engine was stock. It had a lot of work done on the heads, cam and valvetrain, and was running direct port induction with 2bbl Weber carbs among other things.

Reply to
Steve

MTBE is a known carcinogen, and collects in the ground water as well as being dispursed in the air. the MTBE blend that was used in California

*REDUCED* power, efficiency and fuel economy by 15%, and just 2 years after they started using it, they found it in the lakes, the rivers, the ground water, and in the air.
Reply to
Steve

You implied that all happened from the use of Gasohol. I just wanted to know if you used it for fuel or drank it. ;-p I once had a Pontiac that had a 429 cu that dyno'ed at the Lions in Long Beach at 395 HP without all that stuff. Got 14 mpg on High test. It could pass everything except a gas station.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Center posted, like the last added text, to this post.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've considered using gasohol in my snow blower. Less risk of alcohol in the carb, and having to take it all apart. Same deal with the other vehicles, run a galon or two of gasohol every few weeks, to keep the water out of the system. Same idea as using "dry gas" but don't have to do my own mixing. Others tell me the alcohol content sucks water out of the air. I'm not sure who to believe.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I use a nitro mix for my model airplanes, and I've been told the shelf life is only 6 mos. [It has a base mostly of alcohol ] I've heard that E85 tears up the seals? Don't know for sure.

Reply to
Zyp

Gasohol helps to keep the gasoline from souring and jelling in the jets. I also use a bit of SeaFoam when storing for the season. Alcohol does attract moisture. Keep in mind that several car designs used water injection into the carburetor for a better burn. Buick Wildcat ..Circa

1962-3 was one. I refuse to use red offroad fuel in the small motors as it does tend to jell in the jets and float valves. >
Reply to
Don Ocean

Use Neoprene seals for that. All the cars since 1974 have gone to that type of seals and gaskets in the fuel systems. Methyl alcohol is worse then Ethyl alcohol. All intank fuel pumps have a sock, that will eventually seal itself and then produce a seam rip half way up. that causes you to have to have roughly 1/2 tank of Gasoline for it to suck gas.. Anything below that and you run out of fuel to pump. This is the legacy of Gasohol for the present. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

Its all about efficiency... the more efficient the engine is, the more horsepower its going to make, and the less fuel its going to take to do the job, and the less emissions it will have.

Reply to
Steve

Where I live, in the NY Metro burbs, there is no choice; gasoline is available only as 10% Alcohol. The MBTE that was used a few years ago was found out to be a carcinogen, so they substituted alcohol to stretch the gasoline and............ bullshit. it gives lower mileage as we all have said (except Steve)

Reply to
Fartikus

I've heard Ohio only has gasohol, now days. Might be the wave of the future, now that President Elect Oh Bomb Us is at the helm.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
[snippage]

The EPA's _own_ figures reluctantly confirm the drop in mileage. Their chart, which is based on a five percent (E-5) blend, shows a two percent frop in mileage. Hence an E-10 mix should, again by their optimistic figures, give a four percent kick.

(which, for those playing along at home, means a hidden price boost of that same four percent/gallon, since you have to buy more fuel).

danny burstein

That's been my experience in California. When summer comes around, the milage goes down.

Reply to
Zyp