Am I being lied to?

I notice the older guys and hvac business owners feel threatened by diyers, their workers on the other hand, seem tickled that you are taking an interest in learning what they are doing, and have no problem sharing their knowledge.

For me, I found a guy that has no problem checking and starting up a system. I may still hire someone to mount the inside unit though, it's either that or build a jig to hold it in place while I make tubing connections. They sell a pretty nifty one for less than $100, and the design (plastic) is something I could easily turn out in wood.

Reply to
default

default

Having a license does not necessarily mean one knows what one is doing. The electricians test reads something like how many wires of what size can you have in a specific junction box? Then you get to pick a multiple choice.

My wife had her house rewired... There are pull down stairs to get to the attic and a light switch at the top of the stairs so you can turn on the lights before you negotiate the top steps of the ladder. Now the switch is well inside the attic and you need a flashlight to find it, because the electrician considers the attic a living space (it is uninsulated and unfinished) and the code requires light switches to be xx inches from the floor....

Home Depot gets the job done fast and they guarantee the work. Same thing the other guys promise. I suspect if all you do is install mini-splits, you probably get faster and better at it.

If there's a problem that can't be resolved, there's always small claims court.

Reply to
default

Nope..You have to tabulate whole house load and design for it.

My guess is that is a local building officials interpretation of the International electric code. Why don 't you buy a few of those code books and update yourself.. I own all of them, plus on disc for easier search. Barnes and Nobel is your friend.

Actually they do not warrant the work..The contractor is obligated by his Bond, Insurance and the law, to guarantee the whole job. In fact Home Depot is given a pass as it requires a General Contractors license to subcontract other contractors such as HVAC, Electrical, plumbing etc..

Actually most work that goes sour ends up in a real court and seldom in Small Claims.

There is your lesson for today. Buy some damned books and educate yourself instead of babbling this ignorance here.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

That is only certain workers that hope you f*ck up good and they can moonlight at contractors rates.. Most companies have non-Moonlighting clauses and will fire and blacklist any such moonlighting worker. Me..I could care less if you screw up as long as you don't hurt others. What you do to yourself is KARMA.

So ? Why are you babbling that here. Do what you are going to do and no one wants to know or care. Jeez..One would thing your have just solved "Cold Fusion"!

I do hope you got a permit? Fine here is $250 to $3,000.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten