Which manufacturer makes the best mini split?

The best mini splits have variable speed compressors. Just like the best a/c of any type has variable speed. They are the best, as instead of turning on and off they run at the speed necessary to maintain the temperature. Doing so gets the most moisture out of the air.

See what Toshiba and Sanyo have to offer.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Have had some good experiences with Mitsubishi.

Reply to
TimR

But does Mitsubishi have variable speed compressors?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

I assume it may be hard to find one without variable speed drives, all the ones I looked at do have it from SEERS between 15 and >20.

I seriously wonder how many of the ones on the market are significantly different. The styles are all very similar. Either one factory is churning them out or there's a lot of copying going on. The only thing different seems to be the name on the decal among the cheaper brands.

Reply to
default

But does Mitsubishi have variable speed compressors?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT VARIABLE SPEED COMPRESSOR????

Reply to
Tony944

YEs. The Mr. Slim brand of theirs is all (or almost all) variable speed/variable output.

Note that you're paying a premium for the brandname.

I don't know enough about the general reliability of this and that brand to suggest whether the extra cost is worth it.

Reply to
danny burstein

As I wrote earlier, with variable speed compressors, instead of turning on and off, they run at the speed necessary to maintain the temperature. Doing so gets the most moisture out of the air.

With a non-variable speed compressor I can feel the temperature difference when it goes up and down a degree. And when it is very humid out, but not that hot, the a/c quickly cools the place, but the humidity stays. To compensate people then turn the temperature lower than it need be.

It is a feature well worth paying for.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

A variable speed compressor also allows more flexibility in sizing the unit. With a regular compressor, if you undersize it won't be enough during a heat wave. If you over size (and I know some think bigger is better), you end up with it being cold and clammy on many days.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

They have phenomenal efficiency. My 18,000 BTUH cools the living room and kitchen and does so for ~400 watts on the hottest days, compared to my 6,000 BTU window unit that sucks down 500 watts to cool the bedroom.

High noon to ~3 PM on 100F+ at 70% humidity the 6000 is running the compressor continuously. The 18K will pull about 1200 watts for about the first 3-4 minutes then throttle back to 4-500 watts under the same conditions.

Both AC's have power monitors on them.

Moisture removal is exceptionally good too.

Reply to
default

ONE THAT DOES NOT MAKE ANY!!!

and more importantly why?

Reply to
Tony944

A variable speed compressor also allows more flexibility in sizing the unit. With a regular compressor, if you undersize it won't be enough during a heat wave. If you over size (and I know some think bigger is better), you end up with it being cold and clammy on many days.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Don: my English is poor but I will try to explain to you what will happen with Variable speed compressor, if you can get one at that capacity they are compressor that use so call un-loaders to vary pumping capacity but I will not go into that. the problem that you would encounter, if compressor slow down pumping capacity will also go down, when that happens the pressure in the Evaporator will go up bringing dew point temperature up that would cause the water on the coil to re-evaporate at the same time Humidity will go up, that is why it is undesirable variable speed of compressors with exception where is indirect cooling and water is use for cooling like large chillers. Now I know I got you confuse. Sorry you do not need variable speed compressor!!! speed compressor take my words for it....

Tony944