HVAC not working!

Recently my HVAC in my condo stopped working. The fan will not come on. Even when I click the tstat to have the fan "on" instead of "auto".

There is a switch for the blower/fan that is next to the intake vent (and where the fan actually is) that I turn off to service the filter, and if I turn this switch to off, then to on, the fan will whirr up and stay on for about 10 seconds. During this time, the air does feel cool (to me) but after about 10 seconds, the blower turns off again for no apparent reason.

I have checked the breaker and it is OK.

The blower is made by first co. and the model is 30RAQT-3.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Andrew

Sorry forgot to mention that I just replaced the filter too. It was pretty dirty (but not HORRIBLE) and I changed it AFTER this problem occurred.

Reply to
Andrew

It sound like your circulation fan kicking out on thermal overload cause? few different things, one perhaps all it needs some lubrication or running cap shorted or your voltage to low or it simply wants take vacation be prepare to purchase new one. Tony

Reply to
Tony

I was able to check the relay inside the outside unit (which has the fan and compressor). I found the following.

-The side coming from the switch out there has 110V.

-The other side does not.

-If I leave all power down and push down on the contactor, it fires up the compressor and as long as I hold it, it runs and seems to run ok (only tried this once because I didn't want to start/stop the compressor over and over).

I'm trying to measure the voltage that turns on the relay but I haven't seen any voltage there so I'm not 100% sure it's the relay. I'm not sure how the tstat works?

Of the 4 wires I have, W,Y,G, and RC, as the system sits right now, there is no voltage on any of them. If I flip off the indoor blower switch, then turn it back on, I get voltage between the W and G lines. I haven't been able to check if there is voltage outside at the relay during this because I don't have another person here right now to help me check. It appears as if the RC and W lines are the ones that connect to the relay, though. I haven't been able to read any voltage on these lines yet.

I'm wondering two things:

  1. Does blower/fan "check" to see if the outside unit is working and shut down after 10 seconds or so if it is not?
  2. How does the whole system work, ie, how does the tstat control it? It looks like it is just a bunch of relays and does not provide any actual power? What provides the power? The blower/fan circuit that provides the voltage on the W and G lines when it turns on? Is the RC supposed to have voltage between it and another line? Does this sound like a relay problem? I'm in the process of finding places locally to replace the relay as I it looks like it will be cheap to try it anyway.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Andrew

[...]

Pour gasoline onto it and toss a match...

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Call somebody that knows WTF they are doing before you hurt yourself, or do

*$ERIOU$* damage to the system. Its already broken, don't make it worse by screwing with it.
Reply to
Noon-Air

Go ahead and replace the relay, spend money you don't have to. Now read my lips, ITS NOT THE FUCKING RELAY. Now go call somebody that knows WTF they're doing.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Sadly, that is the most helpful response on this entire thread. The only thing that could make it more helpful is a reason why you are so sure.

Reply to
Andrew

You know, you say you're not an HVAC tech, but rather a refrigeration tech.

I'd hate to see you work on a refrigeration unit, with the stupid ass ideas you have with a simple air conditioning system.

Reply to
<kjpro

Bullshit, if this was true, the following statement would be incorrect!

Which is why MOST competent people hire a professional.

I&#39;m wondering one thing, why are you messing with something that you obviously have no knowledge of how it works?

Nope

If you really want to know, go take some HVAC classes.

Reply to
<kjpro

That&#39;s actually pretty rich, yes.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Post it once?

Reply to
<kjpro

lubrication

Because he&#39;s a f****ng professional... now go call one!

Reply to
<kjpro

be sure to turn the power off when you replace t-stat, relay, fuses, blower motor and transformer. Be Safe!

Reply to
Paul C

You guys are ridiculous with the free comments. Most online forums are for just that - free advice. You guys run your forum like a bunch of nazis, but that&#39;s OK, it&#39;s your forum.

Anyway, I had the system serviced today.

The primary was clogged and the emergency filled up to the water switch so the switch would not let it engage.

Additionally, there was a bad connection on the transformer so the tstat and outside contactor were not getting proper power.

Reply to
Andrew

If he wanted to "Be Safe", he wouldn&#39;t be f****ng with it in the first place!

Reply to
<kjpro

No shit, Sherlock!

Reply to
<kjpro

more "sage " wisdom from another wannabe !!!!!

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Paul C) wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

You know Mr. Kjpro I feel sorry for the area you are living in because you are must OBNOXIOUS STUPID JERK I EVER ENCOUNTER IN MY 69 YEARS OF LIFE And the only reason you are successful? because the lack of competition in your area!

As for Andrew I have giving him must accurate answer per his original posting that anybody can give.

So Mr. Kjpro put your head in toilet bowl and flushed couple times that you don&#39;t leave anything smell behind I hope you can understand that JERK! Have nice day jerk of jerks Tony

Reply to
Tony