6AWG connecting to a 30 Amp breaker

I am replacing my air handler in the attic with a newer and more efficient model located in a closet on the ground level. I will start at the main panel for (hopefully) some clarity. 60 Amp breaker with #6 wire running to a disconect at the existing air handler. Because of the difficulty of pulling new wire, I want to know if #8 wire can be junctioned in the existing disconnect and run to the new air handler?Also , since the new air handler requires only a 35 Amp breaker in the main panel, will the #6 wire fit in the new breaker lugs? The new unit does not need a disconnect as it came supplied with an internal one. Thanks in advance and I hope Iv'e described the situation accurately.

Reply to
rmandhammer

Splice the wires Appropriately as necessary. It is your responsibility to learn what Appropriately means in your context.

Reply to
Bill

replying to rmandhammer, Iggy wrote: Of course, keep as much of the old circuit as you can, since it's heavier duty. I'm not an electrician, but I've seen my share of items, especially HVAC stuff, that was lazily thrown onto the old circuit, despite new demands. And no, I don't mean by some HVAC technician (they usually care and price for a full re-wire), but by Master Electricians...who FREQUENTLY abuse their knowledge for profit.

If the run to the old disconnect (external is FAR better) is damaged or brittle, then #8 is perfect and not at all borderline...many electric clothes dryers are installed with #10. The #6 should fit the new breaker, they're made for a range of configurations. In the case that it doesn't, go up to a 40-amp breaker..."requires" usually means minimum or at least. Take a slug of the #6 to the store to be sure.

Reply to
Iggy

So don't give electrical advice, particulary when following up a decade old post.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

replying to Scott Lurndal, Iggy wrote: Is it 2027 already? Wow, how time flies. And what would it matter, sound and proper advice is timeless.

Reply to
Iggy