AC Condenser Unit Relocation

One of my neighbors, as part of a backyard renovation/landscaping project, will be moving their condenser unit from a northern exposure, to eastern exposure. It is a 5 ton unit, and probably 2-3 years old(as is the remainder of the full HVAC system).

This will involve new electrical service at the new site, relocate/repl- ace the refrigerant line at the new site, (actually, I guess that's two lines for relocation), prepare the site, and move the unit with one of those pre-made anchor pads.

The standng estimate for this project is $2,400.00, which seems a little steep to me. But, I really have no idea. I'm no technician, but I wanted to get some ideas for this neighbor. Also, must the system be discharged, moved, evacuated, and recharged? Or, is there a way just to close the system for relocation? I also should mention that a 2-3 day work window requirement was quoted.

Thanks

Reply to
anonymous

I don't see what's to prevent you from trying...if the new lines are of the same length, just don't unhook anything, and the system should work the same as it did before you moved it, right? Sounds like a good project for two neighbors to work on together. What could go wrong?

Reply to
Bill

No, this is not a project for neighbors. At least, not these neighbors.

But, I guess I'm at a loss for understanding. It would seem to me that the new lines would first have to be positioned with one end at the coil, and the other end at the planned new location for the condenser unit. Because the coil(evaporator coil) is within, and beneath, the footprint of the home, this will certainly require routing through an exterior wall. This exterior wall penetration will either require an existing passage, or that a new passage be made. Once correctly positioned, the lines can be connected to the coil on that end, and connected to the condenser unit on that end. But, I can't see how this can be accomplished without disconnect of the original lines. Regard- less of the relative lengths. Have I misunderstood?

Reply to
anonymous

No, I think you have answered your own question. I am not an HVAC pro, but your original question seemed analogous to the best way to swap out an engine in your car without loosing any of the coolant.

Reply to
Bill

Try to get a good warranty as part of the deal.

Reply to
Bill

If the passage is large enough to move the unit through the wall, then there is no need to disconnect the refrigerant lines.

Oh, and another large passage will be needed to move the unit from its current location without disconnecting the refrigerant lines.

Reply to
Wally W.

Yes, perhaps. But as a layman, my answer to my own question is simply rhetoric, at least regarding actual facts. As an example, I had a technician perform a leak test on my unit recently, without any refrigerant loss. I wouldn't have thought that was possible either.

Thanks.

Reply to
anonymous

Yes, I would understand that. The structure being P&B, typically this/these passage(s) will be routed through the external venting bricks installed during the original construction. Nothing larger than that is available, or planned.

Yes, that would be a very large passage. Actually two passages. The first to pass the condenser unit from and outside wall to inside the P&B crawl space.

Then manipulate the condenser unit from that location, across the P&B crawl space, over to the inner wall, in preparation for passage to that outer wall. Obviously, there's no room inside a P&B crawl space for dragging around a huge condenser unit. Unless they can be dismantled to a very minimum size.

Then pass the entire condenser unit from the last relocation inner wall to the outer wall for final rest.

These steps would not only be incredibly tedious/lengthy, they would be virtually impossible. Nobody's going to cut a hole in a brick load bearing wall, big enough to pass a huge condenser unit through. Or, at least, my opinion says it's virtually impossible.

Thanks.

Reply to
anonymous

Richard