Subject Author Posted Replies

Manzanita Berries
I've got this beautiful manzanita and I just swept up last year's berries that were still hanging on the bush. I was wondering how to use the berrys so that they will take root? The original bush I'm...

More bugs
These rascals were on a flower crawling around -- don't know the name of this plant. Only saw them on one stalk. Any ideas what they might be, and how to treat the plants? Close up View of entire...

Fungus or disease on mountain ash
What does this look liket? I searched some but couldn't find any photos close up enough to match it. It's on a short stub where I had cut off a small branch a few weeks ago. Should I spray, if...

Re: Help? Yellow Cherry Tree?
In fact well over 20 years ago. - unless you're living in the past?
2
2

potatoes eaten in the group -- moles/voles
(most) everyone sezs that moles don't eat veggies. Well I've dug up a handful of potatoes that were eaten by some underground critter. Our back yard is a sponge because of mole activity. I'm assuming...
3
3

Biggest hognose snake I've ever seen
I'd been sitting in the truck listening to radio, with my feet dangling out. When I stepped outside there was a two foot long, fat, hognose snake. Previously I'd only seen small ones and didn't know...

Why up potting?
When repotting plants in containers, one is only supposed to go up a size, and not make a big jump in size. Why? Reading about hostas in containers, I find that a big jump in size will kill the plant....
2
2

Seeds And Strains And Some Problems
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum seeking some info on a couple of problems i have en counted in my garden. I have some beautiful traditional Lilly's in my garden and they keep being eaten or...
3
3

weed control
I have a gravel drive about 10 ft wide and 500 ft long that has some weeds coming up. What is best to use to control those weeds that will not pollute the river? Thanks for any info.
25
25

Veg gardening from seed
This article, from local newspaper, seems very sensible. How a towel and colander can transform your garden Highlight 22 hours ago ... Ken Hansen from the Santa Monica Community Gardens presents a new...
3
3

laying turf on a stony slope
Hi I'm new to this forum and need some help please! We have recently rotivated an overgrown slope at the end of our garden and want to lay turf with the idea that it will keep the weeds at bay....
4
4

Protecting Hummingbird Chicks
Got 2 of the little nuggets poking their heads out of a next. I notice a wandering housecat under the tree today. I'm trying to watch and keep running it off as much as I can. Question.... the nest is...
10
10

Preparing old lawn for new one
Got too many weeds in one patch of the yard about 15x30 and decided to kill or remove all the old grass/weeds and start fresh with new seed. I'm wondering if I covered it with tarps, how long would it...
4
4

Smelly hedge
Hi all. Joined the forum as I saw someone mentioned a smelly hedge!! I have the same problem and have no idea what to do to do away with the stench. Love the hedge as it over 6 ft and makes the garden...

Leylandii
Hi I purchased a large leylandii and have planted it into place a few weeks ago, its had fishbone / compost / and existing soil all mixed in and watered on a regular basis. Its not in any wind / gets...