OT Straws?

Is this a metaphor?

"We consume 500 million straws each day. The equivalent of 127 school buses filled with straws. It?s disgusting. There should be children in those school buses, going to school, to learn, not straws."

[Adrian Grenier to NY Mag / Anna Silman]
Reply to
Ophelia

It was a stupid, mixed metaphor.

I believe we could do with a lot fewer straws. I took great pains to learn to drink from an actual cup. Why do so many adults still use a straw? It's just like using a "sippy cup".

Granted, they're useful, for example, in hospitals when someone is holding the cup for you, or you can't coordinate all of those familiar actions yourself.

If I had a nickel for every time I've gotten a straw in a restaurant and just pushed it aside, I could retire. It happened just last weekend at our nearby Thai place.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

We can all do our part to save the earth by boycotting straws. :-D

Reply to
Gary

And school buses. Let the kids walk!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Amen.

Let them walk at least a short distance. I have been stuck behind school buses a few times and it is exasperating. I have been stuck behind them in the morning when the bus stops, lights flashing and stop arm out... no kid. The bus sits there, holding up traffic. Then some kid finally comes out of the house, dawdles up the the bus, to a seat, sits down. The bus finally turns off its lights, starts to move. It goes two driveways down the road and the slow process starts all over again.

It is just as bad in the afternoon. The bus stops and sits there with the lights flashing. You sit there and watch, and nothing is happening. After a minute or two one of the kids at the back gets up heads to the front, stopping to talk to more people along the way. Finally, the lights go off and the bus starts rolling, but then it stops two or three driveways later and the whole process is repeated.

If I ran the world the buses would stick to a schedule and the kids would be standing by the side of the road waiting for the bus. No kids... no stop. On the afternoon run the bus would stop at the designated place and if there was no movement from the back of the bus within 10 seconds, the lights would go off and the bus would start moving again. I am pretty sure that it would take only a couple missed buses or missed stops and the little darlings would learn to to be out there on time and to get off at their stops.

Reply to
Dave Smith

they recognize your car

Reply to
tert in seattle

I have never seen a bus stop and wait for a child who is late. When we rode the bus in grade school, if we missed it, too bad.

N.

Reply to
Nancy2

That's the way it should be. It is certainly the way it was when my son was in highschool and missed the bus a few times. They would pull up, open the doors and if he wasn't on his way out they left. I never complained.

Things are different these days. When parents are upset they go to the media and their elected officials and to social media. A few years back the crap hit the fan when there was a missing kid and he was found hours later sleeping in the back of his school bus. Local boards and bus companies now have a policy about having a flag at the back of the bus that the driver has to go and hang after walking back and checking for kids. In that case the parents were demanding the heads of everyone involved.... except the parents who were not making sure that their little darling was getting enough sleep that he could stay awake long enough to get off the bus. It's not like it was a 5 hour trip.

Reply to
Dave Smith

I always walked to school. In grade school it was about 1/3 mile, there were crossing guards. In JHS it was a little over 1/2 mile, no crossing guards but I was a crossing guard for the grade school kids, I still have the badge. In HS it was a little over 2 miles. We were given passes for the subway but only the sissies/faggots took the train... the rest of us walked and played grab ass feeling up the girls so the trip went quickly... the girls liked the attention or they would have taken the train. There were no sex ed classes back then, wasn't invented yet, sex ed was learned in the streets. But among classmates sex ed was above the waist... occasionally a girl got knocked up but it was found out later it was by a family member, an older brother or an uncle. Normal guys were very happy making out and getting a little titty, or occasionally some dry humping. Back then a girl thought having sex was a hicky on her neck. LOL

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Sounds like my family. ;-)

Reply to
Malachi Martin

my admirer-impersonator dog posting while using my name and the dumbass tried to get it sent to alt.idiots

what a dumbass

. . MALACHIMARTINASM at HMAMAIL dot COM

Reply to
Malachi Martin