Please identify this plant

Hello all:

Another identification request please.

I used a program called "Leaf" but it could not identify it correctly...

Thanks!

Al

Reply to
Al Tprk

It's a cornus fruit. Maybe something like Cornus kousa.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Thank you! Now I can eat the fruits without worry...

Al

Reply to
Al Tprk

On a different note, can this tree be grown from cuttings?

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Al Tprk

Propagate by semi-hardwood or hardwood cuttings or grafting

More info at

"The plant can also be propagated by cuttings, though these are not as vigorous as seedlings. However, if you know of a particularly good fruiting form* then cuttings are the best way of increase. Half-ripe side shoots 10 - 15cm long and preferably with a heel can be taken in July or August. Put them in a sandy compost and place them in a lightly shaded place in a greenhouse or polytunnel. It is important to keep the shoots in a fairly humid atmosphere and preferably with some bottom heat to encourage rooting. Rooting should take place within a few weeks, though we usually get quite poor results. We get a much better take with hardwood cuttings in late autumn once the leaves have fallen. These should be 15 - 20cm long of the current years growth and preferably with a heel. We put them straight into the ground in a polytunnel and usually get good results."

*NB PFAF is interested in food plants. You can apply their directions to good flowering forms, too.
Reply to
Jeff Layman

Thank you Jeff. I'll try this right away.

Al

Reply to
Al Tprk

Yes, but how do you separate out the seeds? The skin is also tasty, but a little leathery. That doesn't leave all that much pulp to eat.

Mine doesn't get much sun, so its fruits are small.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Well, I actually have not tasted the fruits yet. The tree is at a public place, and my roommate brought the two fruits I photographed. He then ate them when I told them they are safe...

Al

Reply to
Al Tprk